Need help with your equipment?
GenericOne's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Jun 14, 2017 8:51 PM

DNSerrorassist takes over Domain device

Not sure if any other users will be able to assist, seems ATT cannot.

Scenario:

Hospital IT has issues a laptop to a user for home use. User takes device home, connects to their U-Verse wireless.

No issues, can work from home and browse, yada yada.

Next day user returns to the Hospital, docks the laptop (switching her to wired) but alas, she cannot access some inter-domain sites (that do not have a .com/.org URL) because it is automatically routed to the AT&T DNSerrorassist site.

Manually edited the wired adapter DNS server does not help. Resetting IE does not help. Removing the 'Saved' network connection does not help.

Our site is non-ATT. What has the ATT connection done to override our Domain DNS settings? 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 y前

My company is having the same issue starting this week.  Nslookup behaves properly using the DHCP assigned internal DNS servers properly.  Chrome and IE both have the same issue, if the address is not a public DNS entry it redirects to the AT&T DNS Error Assist site.  It looks like from past posts, the opt-out option is the only "fix", but there are other posts referencing att.net was added to the domain suffix search order of the adapter.

This is an unacceptable practice.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 y前

Very unacceptable. How exactly would an Opt-Out affect the device when it's no longer on an ATT network?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 y前

According to this post:  https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Features/ATT-DNS-Assist-Page/td-p/5108480

EzE8913821 stated:

"I did experiment with a problem machine, and the following fixed the issue (at least temporarily)
- Removed ATT.net entry in network adapter DNS suffixes. Apparently this is added automatically for AT&T users
- deleted all entries in registry that said "attdnsassist.net".
- Cleared IE history
- Re-launched IE"

In the same thread, another person said it was only IE, but I'm seeing it with any browser.  Although in that same comment, if they logon with a different user, then the problem doesn't exist.  If that is the case, then I wonder if his attdnsassist.net entries were only in HKEY_USERS in the registry.

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.