Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
Need help with your equipment?
JDW8914's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, April 3rd, 2015 7:15 PM

Data Cap for UVERSE Internet?

I heard there is a 250 GB cap for the internet? I currently have Bright House with no cap and am thinking of switching over. Should I be concerned about this?

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

7 years ago

@Ddsteele  I just maxed out everything but HD hour programs and had 200 hours of SD programming (6M only gonna get SD) adding up to 259.62 G of the 300 G cap.

Obviously that's probably much more than you'll use when they all are there, so I wouldn't worry about it.  Putting it back to realistic settings and still 200 hrs of SD streaming it's 174.37 G, way below the cap. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Scholar

• 

168 Messages

7 years ago

It's more than 4%. They're liars. The meter has never worked and will never work. It's because they "think" that people will just give money for tv. The reason why people are dropping tv is  because it's too expensive.

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

7 years ago

@grabacontroller  Then go to the estimator to prove who's gonna go over.  All depends on how much/type of streaming, since maxing every item but streaming videos on the calculator came up at 117.26 GB. 

Now in real world situation it's only 27.85GB, adding 210 (7 hours/day) hours of streaming SD video goes to 175.27 GB, still not close the 6M and less 300 GB cap.  These people are not going to be downloading HD video, not enough bandwidth.  So seems they make it easy.

Now let's go w/12M -100M a 600 GB cap, same base 27.85GB and add 210 hours of HD streaming.  Comes up at 553.27GB, below the cap.  Now change it to 150 hours both SD/HD streaming video and you come up w/508.45GB.

This base: 4640 emails, 620 hrs streaming music, 762 hrs surfing the web, 1187 social media posts and 605 hrs online gaming per month.

Now, tell me where someone is gonna go over in general situations? Smiley Surprised

http://www.att.com/esupport/data-calculator/

Chris

Scholar

• 

168 Messages

7 years ago

Ya. I don't trust them.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Hi,

Talking to ATT customer service is like getting your teeth pulled.  They are very little help.

Received an email from ATT that on May 23 "there's a $10 charge for each 50GB of data you use over the allowance amount."

Does anyone know how to check you current and past usage to see if this will affect me? 

I tried calling customer service,  the person I spoke to could not help me so she tried to transfer me to someone else and I got dropped.  

Thanks

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

62.1K Messages

7 years ago

@brnguyen32 wrote:

Hi,

Talking to ATT customer service is like getting your teeth pulled.  They are very little help.

Received an email from ATT that on May 23 "there's a $10 charge for each 50GB of data you use over the allowance amount."

Does anyone know how to check you current and past usage to see if this will affect me? 

I tried calling customer service,  the person I spoke to could not help me so she tried to transfer me to someone else and I got dropped.  

Thanks

Per the email I received, the tools for checking how much data will not be available until May. It said "After May 23, 2016 log in to your account at att.com/myatt to find helpful tools to view your data usage. "

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

7 years ago

@brnguyen32   New caps 6M Internet and under 300 GB cap, 12M-100M 600 GB cap and over 100M 1TB cap.

On 300 GB, streaming less that 210 (7 hrs/day) hours of SD video and will not go over, on 600 GB if not streaming over 210 hours of HD (or 150 hours of HD and SD) video will not go over.  This includes all the other normal Internet data, checked things earlier on the calculator. 😉

http://www.att.com/esupport/data-calculator/

Chris

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

If their meters are anything like what Comcast used, expect upwards of 25% variance between what AT&T claims and what your gateway might report.  Additionally there is not explanation what counts towards that data (such as their data snooping cookies).  I would expect that it will be initially enabled, to be followed by it quickly going away.  I also suspect where AT&T has no competition for the caps to be strictly enforced.  Where there is choice, it might be enforced.

Jim

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Hi Chris,

Is this for mobile data? or is it for home internet also?

Bryant

abrad321

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

7 years ago

Beginning on May 23, 2016 we will be increasing the U-verse® Internet data allowance for many customers. After a grace period, and as our agreement provides, there's a $10 charge for each 50GB of data you use over the allowance amount.

Excuse my lack of knowledge of this, but don't only cell phones work off of data?  What exactly does the above statement mean? Are we talking about phones? I just use the computer and use my tablet and don't think about going over any certain amount of anything. Is this something I'll be having to monitor so that I don't go over 50GB?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.