Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Jun 19, 2015 2:01 AM

Connecting to Facebook

No other website problems, just with Facebook i tried accessing facebook on other device  and same 

Responses

doublen

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

6 years ago

I've also requested a credit.  Crossing my fingers we get connectivity soon.

LadyChar

Teacher

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

Lol your fingers will probably go to sleep from being crossed too long. By the way what state are you in doublen? I am in IL about 15 miles east of St. Louis

doublen

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

6 years ago

I'm just north of Milwaukee, LadyChar.  I did get them to promise a minimal credit for being out five days, but he suggested I call them if it stays out longer.  Good luck tomorrow!

RJSinMO

Mentor

• 

70 Messages

6 years ago

LadyChar, I'm in Crestwood (i.e. St Louis metro).

LadyChar

Teacher

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

Rjsinmo. You are the first person in my area I have seen with the same problem. Eveyone I talk to is unaware of this issue. Lot of people I know have charter. Someone I know who lives in glen Carbon said she has att DSL and is not having issues. I have u verse and this is day 5.
LadyChar

Teacher

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

Rjsinmo. You are the first person I know of in my area having the same issue . Everyone else I know has charter. One person I know in glen Carbon had a few hour outage wed night but that was it and they have att DSL. And I have uverse. I have used my cell data to post on Facebook several times and no one seems to know anything about it I guess they all have charter.

bdginmo

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

6 years ago

I am in the St. Louis area and I too am experiencing the issue. It's not just Facebook for me. A lot of the Google services are problematic as well.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

For some reason this has to do with our service at home - UVerse. I can log onto FB a mile away an even 40 miles away - but not in my own home. This just started 4 days ago. I run a FB store and have no contact with customers now. From what I've read Cust Support isn't helpful. Anyone know that answer?

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

6 years ago

Here's the thread started last Thursday with over 100 post concerning this problem:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Troubleshoot-Internet-Service/Connecting-to-Facebook/td-p/4269271

It appears to be a server problem isolated to the Midwest.

Don't mess with old people.  The older we get, the less "Life in Prison" is a deterrent.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
doublen

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

6 years ago

yep, Monday morning and we're still down in Milwaukee.  Day 6!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Still down in Indiana. I can't believe a company as large as AT&T can't fix a server. I'm ready to go back to Comcast.

LadyChar

Teacher

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

Day 6 for me here in St. Louis as of 745 when I left for work
GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

6 years ago

I live in the far northern Chicago suburbs (about half way between downtown Chicago and downtown Milwaukee). My connection to facebook has not had any connection problems all month. On Friday my mother-in-law was having problems connecting from Indianapolis. After my wife spent about 45 minutes on the phone with her, I did a quick Google search and found that there were many people from mulitple ISP's that could conenct to everything except Facebook. Some of those people were reporting that their connection problems had been going on for over a week.

From my experience, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a DNS issue. I know that the AT&T DNS servers very strictly adhere to the DNS standards, so if a DNS registration expires, the AT&T DNS servers will return that the server is not found, even though it really is still there at the address which has recently expired. For this reason, I personally use Google, OpenDNS, and several other puplic DNS servers for my home network. If someone at Facebook updated a DNS entry for one of their servers, but entered an invalid address with a large TTL, then that invalid address would have propageted out, aand any server getting that invalid address would not go back to the source until the TTL timer expired.

I have no proof of anything but since the problem impact multiple ISP's, and since the problem only impact Facebook from any of those ISP's it sure sounds to me like it is a Facebook problem (or a routing issue to Facebook). When I saw an outage map on Saturday, it was impacting an area around Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, and Cleavland. All are in the midwest US (although there was a European area that had been impacted for a few days and appeared to have been resolved by then). Considering that, it almost sounds like a network interconnect issue, and possibly related to an internal IP address conflict, or even an IPV4 address routing if a range of addresses had been long dormant suddenly became active on the internet (due to the address space getting full and new addresses becoming "valuable").

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

LadyChar

Teacher

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

Just curious, I read that you should not mess with the uverse router with DNS settings. I would actually change them on my computer correct or do I have to actually have to do something with the router? And then do I actually have to manually change the DNS on my smart devices or will it pick it up automatically if you do it on the computer?

LadyChar

Teacher

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

Also when you try to connect to FB via wifi it says either to check your internet connection or slow network retry

Get started...

Ask a new question