For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
LostInWire's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, December 1st, 2015 2:53 AM

Bridge? 3801HGV with NetGear N300 - Need better Wireless Service

I have a 3801HGV that was recently switched out to replace another model (not sure what it was).  I only have Internet service and was doing just fine with my DSL but was convinced to switch to uVerse.  

I have a Netgear N300 DGN2200.  I sounds like from reading other posts that I want to create a bridge to take advantage of the N capabilities of the NetGear as well as increased speeds and ability to setup a Guest Network?   But I'm not sure if I'm interpreting that correctly.

My few attempts to reset the IP address on the Netgear and then connect it to the 3801 has rendered me without service.   When I go to try and find the Netgear on the 3801 page it is not distinguishable.  

I first disconnected the 3801 from my desktop and connected in the NetGear and gave it the IP address of 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.   I could not tell if that took or not but I was able to save and got no errors.   

I then reconnected the 3801 to my desktop and then connected the NetGear to the 3801.  At that point I could not get to either device.  

Can someone correct me in what I may be doing wrong? We are having to watch a basketball game in bits and pieces because of the connection is slow.  AND the connectivity requires that I enter the SSID and PWD for my network if I ever turn off my tablet, but my tablet will retain everyother WIFI I've ever connected when I elect to save it.

Thanks,

LostInWires

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

8 years ago

Follow post 2 for close to bridge mode or post 13 for using your device as a wireless access point only.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Third-Party-Devices/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@LostInWire   Here's an explanation from Computer Joe:

This is what I did to use an "internal" router. I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to the RG, reboot the "internal" router, let the RG assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the RG's management interface. When I go to the "internal" router's management interface it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the RG uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the RG uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). My internet works fine with no interuptions and local network tasks (back ups, streaming, etc.) work as expected.

I can also still access the RG from "my" side of the network when I need to without having to change any network settings or swap any cables. Leave DHCP running on the RG. You do not need to disable the firewall in the RG as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router). If you have existing wireless on your router that your satisfied with and want to keep, just make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG.

As for the STBs they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax.

Only thing I see different is the subnet mask on my 3800 is now 255.255.252.0 (used to be all 255s), good luck. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks Chris. 

By using the first part of your instructions I was able to get IP addresses generated and complete the original setup instructions.  

I can access both the 3801 and the Netgear interfaces via their IP addresses but  there is no wireless internet connectivity working even when I turn off the wireless for the 3801.  My system shows "limited" for seemingly any configuration I put in for wireless.  I have no wireless working at all right now.

I don't know what " As for the STBs" is referring to.  I seem so close but yet so far.... so I am still ...Lost In Wire,  and hoping I don't have to wait for the movie.  🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.