Need help with your equipment?
B

• 

9 Messages

Monday, May 25th, 2020 8:40 PM

ATT IPv6: Please Give US at least a /56 Subnet as RFC 6177 Specifies!

ATT is providing home uses an IPv6 subnet of /64. The orginal RFC specified that all ISP's should provide all end users a /48. That was modified in RFC 6177 to suggest at least a /56 to Home users. A /64 cannot be subnetted, so you can't use a router behind ATT's modem and subnet it for your interior network. In other words, ATT is seizing customers ability to benifit from IPv6, and why? Are they waiting to charge us more to get what we are supposed to be getting? Are 18 quadrillion networks and interfaces just not enough?

The bottom line ATT, we need a /56 to implement IPv6. Why are you not giving this to us? Please let us know when you are going to supply us the service we are paying for every month. Otherwise you are not delivering proper Internet service to any user you leave with only /64 as an option for IPv6.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

Year old post 

Scholar

• 

93 Messages

2 years ago

^^And?  Your post doesn't further this topic....

Teacher

• 

248 Messages

2 years ago

@Gpz1100 Yes. It is a limitation of the ATT equipment. Since you have bypassed their RG, your equipment receives the full /60 to do what you like with.

I gained admin access to my NVG599 and can modify the dhcp6 service config to allow use of all 15 (remember, 0 is applied to the RG LAN segment). I am toying with modifying the bridging table in the NVG to bridge the VDSL to one of the Ethernet ports and then auth on my equipment, but haven't had time to tinker with it in a while. It's also been pretty stable, so not sure I want to mess with it. We don't have fiber available.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

No but start your own topic rather than resurrect a year old dead thread 

Scholar

• 

93 Messages

2 years ago

@tinslwc Thanks for clarifying.  I have not heard of this limitation before and was not aware it existed (or still exists) on the RG's.  If you're able to get a true bridge mode out of it, that would be ideal.  The bgw210 which is what I was provided with has a pseudo bridge mode called passthrough - more like fake bridge mode. You're probably aware, the RG is still handling NAT, traffic control, and likely phoning back to the mothership. It's been a good 3 years since I did the bypass.  The RG sits on a shelf collecting dust.

@Constructive I'm sorry you weren't loved as a child. Perhaps you should seek therapy.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

Perhaps you should follow the forum rules 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

When you bring up an old thread anyone who has been a part of it gets an email even the original poster and they don’t care to get these emails a year old and usually have no recall of the year old post. 

Teacher

• 

248 Messages

2 years ago

@Constructive While I would normally agree that commenting on an old post is not usually a good idea, he asked a question to me on a post that is close enough to the original topic. We tell people all the time to search to forums. He did just that.

@Gpz1100 I'm very familiar with IP Passthrough and it's limitations. It is also only associated with IP4. I'm trying (although not really hard) to get a true bridge to get around these limitations. I think I'm close, but life... I have # access to my RG and pulled the certs out. I'm pretty sure I have everything I need to make it work (except time).

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

The topic is actually 2 years old and until recently hasn’t had an active response in over a year. Closing this thread start a new one 

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

@Constructive I am the original poster. The issue is as relevant today as when I posted it. Nothing has been done by ATT to even barely address the issue. So why are you rebuking people for addressing it? So they should start another thread? Is that so I’ll know nothing about it nor any of those who responded to this thread? Is there some magical time limit on posts unanswered by ATT? Is this a way to atomize the frustration with ATT, so as to keep the customer in the dark and hope they just go away? Sure seems like it. All I know is that no one at ATT support is competent enough to even have a discussion with about it, which is beyond imagining. I know because about every 6 months I call and try again with the same nothing answers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.