Need help with your equipment?
skicraz's profile

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2022 10:08 PM

ATT Internet 75 - Device Limitations

I was about to purchase the Internet 75 Plan to 'cut the cable' but the AT&T personnel could not adequately answer my question regarding the number of devices allowed. Their material states 12 max. But what exactly does that mean? One employee said I would have to use the Smart Home Manager to add and drop devices - what a pain! I live alone and still have over 20 devices easily. That makes no sense to me. I have no issues like that with Cox Cable (my current provider). I am just floored that the Irvine AT&T store could not or would not answer my question, nor would they call their 800 number to help. 

So I am reaching out to anyone that might shed some light on my issue. I would think you could have, say, 30 devices, but maybe only 12 can be serviced at one time???

Thanks so much.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

9.5K Messages

3 months ago

AT&T "support" will say all kinds of crap that they have no clue about.  That's especially true about the retail stores that exist solely to sell wireless services and devices.

Not sure where they say 12, Ive seen as little as 5-7, but it may be that they're talking about how many devices you might be able to run concurrently at max bandwidth.  You can certainly connect far more if the devices don't use a lot of bandwith, say things like smart light bulbs and switches.

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

Good this helps. So to summarize your response, I can connect a lot of devices, but of course depending on what they are doing or not doing performance may vary(?). That seems simple enough but not sure why they just didn't say it.

If you look at this ATT Link: https://www.att.com/internet/internet-service-plans/ it shows a column on the page (you may have to scroll down to a section titled: AT&T internet plans) called CONNECT with number of devices. That is the column I was asking them what it means-and they couldn't answer.  My guess, like yours, is concurrently running. 

If you have additional thoughts/comments, that would be great. Thanks so much!

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

9.5K Messages

3 months ago

I don't know which AT&T gateway you'll get, probably BGW320.  All I can point to is that my BGW210 shows this.....

2.4 GHz Wi-Fi Configuration

Maximum Clients       Default: 80

Guest SSID

Maximum Clients      Default: 10

5 GHz Wi-Fi Configuration

Maximum Clients    Default: 80

It says this in the sidebar help.....

Maximum Clients: Each enabled SSID has a maximum number of clients it will allow to connect concurrently. The total maximum of clients for the 2.4 GHz band is 122. The 5 GHz band supports up to 90 total clients.

(edited)

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.9K Messages

3 months ago

The limit of 12 is likely referred to for streaming …

most HD content is around 6M, 12 devices streaming Netflix HD at same time is 12*6=72… using pretty much all of the internet 75 bandwidth.

Of greater concern, for me, is the size of the NAT table… how many sessions…. Not how many devices.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.