For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
HQ_IT_Guy's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Monday, March 27th, 2017 7:40 PM

ATT DNS Assist Page

I have several employees who suddenly cannot access the office home page. The ATT DNS "Assist" page opens instead.

If AT&T wants to redirect 404 errors for their customers, that's their business. But when my employees come into the office (not on AT&T internet) and cannot access our internal webserver because their DNS has been hijacked. That is a problem.

What is the fix for this?

Why has AT&T decided it's OK to override ANY computer's DNS functionality to earn a few pennies from YAHOO! (of all places) search?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Agreed,

We have many employees also experiencing this.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

NO this did not fix it.. I am at work and cannot function because of this.. some of my sites are not compatible with browsers other than IE.. I am an IT security analyst and this is ridiculous! to say the least.. anyone have a fix.. ATT.. I have words for you on this and they are NOT good!!!!!!!

Tutor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

We had the same issue in corporate environment and are currently testing something with success-- check the option to look for updated version of the webpage every time IE starts-- this should resolve the issue.

My theory is that the intranet page errors while they're using their home internet and that error page gets cached so it appears once they've arrived back at work on the work network.

• with IE open > Tools
  • Internet Options
  • Under Browsing History, click Settings
  • Check for newer versions of stored pages: Every time I start Internet Explorer

This may be something to consider changing through GPO company wide to prevent it altogether.

Best of luck!

Summer

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

It is nice that At&T can do whatever they want.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Been meaning to update this - we have seen fewer issues with this as of late.  Now a simple clear of the browsing history resolves the issue.  As IT_Girl mentioned, this makes sense if the browser is caching data and not requesting the new site.  I will say that back in May when the issue started, the fix was not as easy as deleting browser cache, and it seemed as though there was more to it.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thank You IT_Girl. You're my hero!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I just was on with At&t to fix this. They said I have to pay them for a premium subscription service before they'll fix this. They know what it is and they want me to pay to have them remote in instead of just telling me what to do to stop them from hijacking my work sites.  Completely disgusting. They already get $300 from me a month between cell phones, internet and Directv and now they want me to pay for more.  Disgusting practice.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

More than likely, if a DNS Assist is popping up, there's an issue with your DNS setup somewhere.

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

After weeks of frustration I finally found a Tech Support Engineer who suspects that the modem itself is defective (this whole "feature" is a defect in itself).  They are sending me a new modem.  Hopefully the new modem will actually communicate with their server and turn off the DNS Error Assist crap.  At a former address I had a different modem where the DNS Error Assist option was configurable in the modem itself.  Then they updated the firmware (or hardware, or both) and moved the preference to the cloud, but they engineered it improperly and the two are not communicating (modem and cloud). 

The whole situation is infuriating because it's just AT&T trying to steal search hits, violating our privacy and security as a marketing ploy.  I complained again, and supposedly it'll be relayed to management, but I doubt we'll see any change.  This is the same company that crammed Motricity "services" on their wireless customers.  I was part of that class action too.  To AT&T, all's fair if it even might result in another nickel in their pockets.

Waiting on the new modem; hoping for change...

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

Deleted

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.