Need help with your equipment?
Drisc95's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 10th, 2014 4:06 PM

ATT 250 GB Data Cap

I am currently looking at purchasing an ATT Uverse plan with the Power Internet and the U200 channel plan.  The only reason why I have not jumped from TWC is the 250 GB data cap.  I'm currently living with 4 other roomates, and if we were to each wach just one hour of netflix per day we would be at 375 GB used, putting us well over the 250 GB cap.  If we were to actually use the internet ontop of this, we would be paying an absurd amount of money ontop of our bill because we would be "going over the data cap".

What I'm trying to get at is, I have heard and read online from many sources that if we were to bundle both TV and Internet, ATT cannot distinguish the two on our data usage and the cap would not be enforced.  Can anyone confirm this?  We are looking to switch providers since TWC has been offering us horrible services and awful customer service, but we would rather deal with that than having to pay for internet and then have a data cap.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Firstly, AT&T has published the 250 GB data cap for U-verse but they have not been enforcing it; there is no usage meter available, etc.

Secondly, AT&T should have no trouble distinguishing between IPTV and Internet traffic for the purposes of metering, and they would have to.  Anyone who has stated they can't, needs to back that statement up with some evidence. I believe they lack the will to enforce the cap, not the technology.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have tried talking to ATT customer support online and over the phone about this and they keep bringing up the fact that they enforce it, and it's $10 per 50 GB over. Is this just a scare tactic they're trying to use to keep usage down?

Also, if we weren't to have TV and we went just with Internet would this still be the case? I've heard so many things from different people I just want to get it all straight before I make a decision as I know I'll be going over the cap each month no problem.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

@Drisc95 wrote:
I have tried talking to ATT customer support online and over the phone about this and they keep bringing up the fact that they enforce it, and it's $10 per 50 GB over. Is this just a scare tactic they're trying to use to keep usage down?

Also, if we weren't to have TV and we went just with Internet would this still be the case? I've heard so many things from different people I just want to get it all straight before I make a decision as I know I'll be going over the cap each month no problem.

I've had U-Verse internet for the past six years...in other words, I had it the day they originally announced the caps and the day the caps were supposed to be put in place.

The urban legend is that because all data goes through the modem "RG", they need a way to differentiate internet data with TV data with even phone data from U-Verse voice. Because they haven't yet figured out how to tell the three apart, any and all plans to put data caps in place have been put on hold.

In other words, don't worry about caps until they say. Outside of the occasional post on this forum, I've all but forgotten they even had a plan to put caps in place.

Guru

• 

644 Messages

10 years ago

I watch Netflix, Amazon and play games all the time. Been with Uverse since Oct 2007 never been charged extra. I have Phone, Tv and Internet.....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.