Need help with your equipment?
btjapkes93's profile

Participant

• 

1 Message

Mon, Dec 14, 2015 9:24 PM

75 mbps promised but not delivered

I feel like I have been conned and hood winked by AT&T!  We switched last week from one carrier to ATT for directv and internet.  They promised me 75mbps  but daily speed tests have proven I am getting between 27-31 mbps.

A call to technical support offered no help except a statement from the tech that if I hard wire into the router with ethernet cable, I may get 55 mbps.  But through a wifi I would be lucky to get 45.  Of course, I'm getting around 30 so the next question is how many sharing.  4 phones and a blu-ray.

But the fact the tech stated the BEST I could get would be 55 mbps means there is no way they can deliver 75 mbps so in my book, I was LIED to by AT&T to get my almighty dollar.

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

6 y ago

That is one of the things about ATT advertising you have to be careful of.. they use phrasing like UP TO 75 mbps.... but not promise you will ever even get close.

The primary deceiding factor of actual connection speed is, how close are you to the neighbor hood connection box. (They got so many types, I don't even try to mention any particualr types.)

To a lesser extent, how many other users are activly using the service, as there is still an upward speed limit, and it is split between all the other connections in the service box.

If you have just internet service, then the whole connection goes to that.. if you have u-verse tv, digital phone, home security, etc. you have one main connection going in, and all devices share it. (Tv service has priority, and each tv you have on takes a big slice out of your total bandwidth.)

ATT IS getting better at delivering faster speeds in certain areas to select customers, but it gots a LONG way to go before they are even close to providing the service they are promosing, unfortunatly.

If you replace all your house wiring with cat 5 cable, that can help improve the speed, some, but odds are, your existing wiring is already pretty good, and unless you have a short or some such in the line, you will not see much improvement.

I apologise.. I am another customer like you, sharing his own opinion and experiance, and sorry to say, not really much I can offer that could really help you, except share that you are not alone in your experiance and frustration.

Mind you, I am a legacy DSL customer, and my top speed is 6 mbps, so for me, 30 would be blazing fast.

I really do hope you get the service you asked for. Or at least, they can step you down to a lower cost tier more reasonable priced for the service they can actually deliver.

Good luck.

Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

6 y ago

@btjapkes93

Can you go to 192.168.1.254 in your browser and head over to the "Broadband" page? It may be under "Settings" if you don't see it initially. Post the information such as max rate, sync rate, noise margin, attenuation.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

i am also having same problem. a sales rep came to my home saying they put fiber lines in our area. and they could match comcast wonderful internet for less money (god i miss comcast). we have had it about a week now. i barley get 3mbps called them the lady told me they only have 18mbps. so i must have miss understood the rep cause her computer say we have 18mbps....i have the sign up contract in front of me and it says 75mbps...i am a game tester a depend on my internet. 18mbps is fine for playing. but when u have to download multiple games a week with a few hrs notice (sumtimes a day) and you cant do it cause your internet is stone age it becomes a problem! and what point dose this become criminal fraud to have reps selling a service u cant provide???

i would like a response asap iv talked to your people on the phone and they are absolutely no help.if you cant provide 75mbps then my bill should be adjusted according untill i can sign back up with comcast

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

i am also having same problem. a sales rep came to my home saying they put fiber lines in our area. and they could match comcast wonderful internet for less money (god i miss comcast). we have had it about a week now. i barley get 3mbps called them the lady told me they only have 18mbps. so i must have miss understood the rep cause her computer say we have 18mbps....i have the sign up contract in front of me and it says 75mbps...i am a game tester a depend on my internet. 18mbps is fine for playing. but when u have to download multiple games a week with a few hrs notice (sumtimes a day) and you cant do it cause your internet is stone age it becomes a problem! and what point dose this become criminal fraud to have reps selling a service u cant provide???

i would like a response asap iv talked to your people on the phone and they are absolutely no help.if you cant provide 75mbps then my bill should be adjusted according untill i can sign back up with comcast

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

4 y ago

@thisISfraud, you have made a post an a public forum provided for AT&T users to communicate with other AT&T users. While AT&T employees do look at forum posts from time to time, you should have no expectation that any particular action will come from such a post.

If you want a direct response from AT&T, then you should instead click this Customer Service link to send a Private Message (PM) to the AT&T customer service team to help you resolve your request. You can expect a reply via return PM (the envelope in the upper right corner of this site, next to your avatar) in a business day or three. You can speed things up by including your name, Billing Account Number and the best way and time to reach you.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 y ago

I’ve had Att (50mbps and now 75mbps) for a few months. I’ve been averaging about 5mbps on the 50 and 14mbps on the 75, with only one device connected right after a restart. Got upgraded for “free” for the inconvenience of slow 50mbps, turns out it was posed on my bill and I was charged an extra $70 for the free month. After over an hour on the phone with tech support she “fixed” the speed by installing a modem update. I tested it twice while on the phone (72mbps and 74mbps). Her and I agreed that was a great improvement and hung up. I tested it immediately after the call (about 10 times with different speed tests) and have averaged about 12mbps. What a scam. Can’t believe I got tricked into a contract with ATT. Never again.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

4 y ago

Are you testing with a wireless connection or an Ethernet cable connected to the Gateway?  If wireless, how far away from the Gateway?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 y ago

I tested WiFi from right next to the modem (about 10 times). Just tried testing over Ethernet and got 18mbps. Still nowhere near 70+ I got while on the phone with tech support. I’m guessing they free up some speed to get you off the phone, knowing you probably won’t call back and waste another hour.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

4 y ago

I don't believe you know just how far fetched that sounds.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 y ago

There's a chance its just coincidence but the same thing has happened twice now. I don't really care what what business they practice- I just want the speed I'm paying for (or at least somewhere closer to it) without spending hours on hold with support. It was a known problem at installation and no one ever followed up, hence my frustration. I'm only 3 months into my 2-yr contract and I spend a good few hours every month trying to deal with support, what a waste of time and $. At least there's free Sunday Ticket next season, and I'll use LTE tethering through my wireless until my 2 years expire...

ATTChrisZ

Employee

• 

129 Messages

4 y ago

Hi all,

When I worked with members, I wanted to get them at or around their subscribed speeds. If their plan was 75Mbps, getting them to or around 65Mbps was my goal. The following tips helped and hoping they do the same for you. 

Reset the modem - this resolves most speeds issues. 

Remove all devices and test with only 1 - the more devices connected/ in use, the slower speeds may be or test at. also, Wi-Fi speeds are known to drop in half. So when you test, use a wired connection if possible. I understand it is not easy nowadays since everything is wireless.   

Make sure no electronics are near the modem - the interference they create impact speeds. Speakers are a big source of interference. 

Test different Wi-Fi settings - using a different channel has improved Wi-Fi speeds. 

This article has information on how you can improve you internet experience instructions on now to update the Wi-Fi channels. 

If the above does not help, you can use the myATT app to troubleshoot and schedule a tech dispatch. The same steps our call center perform, the app does in under 5 minutes. Text the word myATT to 556699 to download it. 

Hope this helps!

ChrisZ

• 

1 Message

2 y ago

There speeds fluctuate. We are on a gateway system and sometimes it will spike over 100 Mbps. But our average is about 75 Mbps.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.