For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help with your equipment?
DonJuane's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Thursday, November 14th, 2013 7:02 AM

3801HGV - can inbound ports be routed to static DHCP table assigned from MAC?

A new customer today and stumped configuring a 3801HGV.   This is the most cryptic interface I have encountered on a commercial gateway.   I am trying to route inbound port range 5120-5140 of SIP traffic to a specific ATA device on my NAT LAN, and additionally I need to route TCP inbound port 5750 to another device.

I started by locating the devices under the Settings, LAN, IP Address Allocation option on the AT&T gateway.    I once navigated to this webpage before and was able to locate a MAC block description frame for the desired devices, and within that frame and under the pull-down box "Address assignment:" initially I was able to select from the entire DHCP port range of IP addresses provided by the AT&T gateway.  

Then somehow I changed something somewhere to where the only option in this pull-down is now "Static IP - No DHCP" with no more IP addresses to select from.

With my dd-wrt router I could set this up in minutes.   I have set up many routers in my lifetime and this has to be the most cryptic. 

Can static DHCP assignments even be assigned to MAC addresses using this gateway?   And can specific ports or port ranges then be directed toward the IP address that is assigned from a static DHCP table that I create?   If so, how is it done?     THANKS!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi DonJuane,

I apologize for all the inconveniences, and it may actually be easier to setup your DD-WRT router in DMZplus mode and let it do all the routing, but I believe with the questions you asked, there is a way to do it with the 3801HGV.

To do the static IP address assignments, it sounds like you are on the right page of Settings -> Lan -> IP Address Allocation, but it's giving you "Static IP - No DHCP."

If your computer is configured with a static IP address, then that is the reason for that. The static IP address assignment of your computer takes precedence over the 3801's static IP address assignment.

If it is not, but you are getting that, then there is some sort of error. To clear this:

1. You can try to shut down your device getting that error
  2. Then going to the 3801 GUI at http://192.168.1.254
  3. Select Settings
  4. Select sub-tab Diagnostics
  5. Select sub-tab Resets
  6. Click Clear next to Clear Device List
  7. Start your device back up and it should be assigned a DHCP address
  8. Go back to your IP Address Allocation settings and you should be able to statically assign an IP
  9. If it is still not working, you may need to do a factory reset on the router by going to the same Resets screen and choosing the option at the bottom.

In regards to specific port ranges being directed towards an IP, to my knowledge you can configure it using an IP address, but it assigns it to the device with that IP and forwards it to that device based off it's MAC address. I may be wrong about this, but it should produce the necessary results for you.

To do so:

1. Login to the 3801 GUI at http://192.168.1.254
  2. Select Settings
  3. Select Firewall
  4. Select Applications, Pinholes and DMZ
  5. Select Add a new user-definied application
  6. Fill out the information as you need and click Add to List
  7. Click back if it does not take you back to the previous screen
  8. Under where it says Select a computer, fill in where it says "Enter IP address" and click choose.
  9. Select the bullet Allow individual application(s)
  10. Select from the list the port forwaring rule you created
  11. Click Save
  12. Repeat stpes 5-11 until you have all your rules defined.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

That did it, thank you.   I did have to set the DHCP range, changing it from button one of the default value and set it instead to customized value of 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.252 with Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and for some reason, that turned back on the option to assign a "static IP" in the DHCP range to the discovered MAC address blocks.   I saved my settings and rebotted the various devices and they picked up the new "statically assigned" IP as a DHCP address at the device.   Once there, I opened the desired ports to these same "statically assigned" IP as a DHCP address, and opened the various ports to that IP address (knowing that if all goes well, this IP will alwasy be assigned viat DHCP to the devices unique MAC address.

Good luck everyone!

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for keeping us posted. I am glad everything is working!

-David T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.