Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
michaelmonihan's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Mon, Feb 2, 2015 6:43 AM

xDSL Failure/ What is the DSL username and password needed for 3rd Party PPPoE routers?

Hello I have a TP-Link W8970 that I have connected to the modem downstairs through a phone cable with a two way splitter. I have been unable to find the DSL username and password for my specific household/router via online support or going through the At&t router itself. This is problematic because the router tells me to ask the ISP for the DSL username and password. If anyone can help me please post a reply! Thanks

ATTDmitriyCM

Community Manager

• 

9.9K Messages

7 y ago

Hi @michaelmonihan 

There might be a sticker on the modem with that information. Have you had a chance to contact tech support yet? If you can't find those credentials anywhere, they might have to be reset.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

7 y ago

I have had this very problem.. what you need is your  pppoe  network name and password. You can call at&t customer service, and they can give it to you once they verify your account.

OH!   if you are asking about logging onto your router, the default for tp-link modems is almost always name  admin    pw admin

If you changed it, you can always set it back to factory defaults.

Good luck, but don't think you will need it. Just remember to write it down and put it someplace safe, in case you need it again.

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

7 y ago

Sigh.. where is my head?    You name is    yourname@att.net   (or whatever it is)

and what you need is your dsl network PASSWORD, which is seperate from your online account or e-mail password, and issued by at&t.

If you forgot the password, you can get it from customer service, after they do the usual verification.  If you insist, they can even change it for you, but they do charge for that.

Only someone physicaly connected to your home phone line could hack your internet service, so this password is not as crucial to be protected as say your online accounts are. Still, keep it in a safe place, in case you need it again, sometime in the future.

Good luck.

Note: hacking the phone line NOT to be comfused with pirating your wi-fi signal. Totaly differant protocals. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

Don't help when att says they can't give you a password I added another internet acct at my camper in campground and because I used the same email address they say they can't give or reset my password to my home internet but they have been charging me for it for 18 months now getting tired of being billed for something I Don't have

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.