cjdaman's profile

7 Messages

Wednesday, February 14th, 2024 2:24 PM

will adding a router increase my wi-fi strength?

I cannot get fiber in my area. I can only get 50 mbps in my area and then actually only receive about 45-48 mbps.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

2 months ago

Think of WiFi as a standalone component in your home network.  Many of us have bought our own WiFi systems to replace what's integrated within the Att gateway. What you get is more coverage, better availability and reliability.  What it won't do is make your basic internet service faster than what it already is. 

7 Messages

2 months ago

In that case, can you recommend a great router that is compatible with the ATT modem I have? bgw210  

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

2 months ago

Wi-Fi strength is determined by many factors including the network connected to (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz), distance, material(s) the signal has to pass through, competing wireless networks, the ability of the device connecting to… example if gaming system that only supports 2.4Ghz in an apartment building two rooms away from gateway with 15 other wireless networks seen would expect lower than in an isolated area 5 feet away with no obstacles on 5G network.

The first question, with no other devices in usage… no streaming, gaming, etc… what is the speed to the gateway using the ATT Smart Home Manager app. 
Care to post the stat page from the gateway 192.168.1.254 including user rate, max rate, etc as there might be a line quality issue. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.