Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Jan 7, 2016 1:05 AM

WIFI in my place of business...

Please help...I need a WIFI signal that does not drop or devices keep "buffering"...I have a restaurant, and offer free wifi to my guests, plus we use a reservation/table management system that uses wifi, and we also do inventories using an app that needs wifi. We have checked the signal and it's very strong coming in...I already have a booster/extender in the dining room...I could use some expert help to figure out what's happening...please advise. 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Responses

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

11.9K Messages

4 years ago

I had some problems with my wifi signal because Microsoft OneDrive was using all of my bandwidth. After I disabled OneDrive, my wifi returned to normal.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.1K Messages

4 years ago

Your post belongs in the Internet forum and should never include personal contact info, email, etc.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

4 years ago

There are companies that offer on site consultation for addressing problems like wi-fi signals and such.

Depending on where you liuve, they should be listed in your local phone book.

Probably also not cheap, but then, not just anyone can walk into your business and troubleshoot your local network efficiently.

Good luck finding someone both knowledgable and reliable, and affordable.

In an applicxation such as yours, it is hard to find someone who can help you from a strickly advisory capacity, esspecially online.

Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

4 years ago

@ULarramendi

You'll want to keep both the guests and your own WiFi as separate as possible. What plan does your business subscribe to? You may want to upgrade to a higher tier if it's the case your plan isn't fast enough. You'll also want to set bandwidth settings on the main device serving the guests(limit bandwidth/limit bandwidth per device).

If you can, you should run Ethernet to the desired guest WiFi locations. Extenders are not good for throughput.

What kind of device is actually being used for the guests? You'll want something business related that can handle a lot of devices at once.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

4 years ago

I am only posting information, not offering advice:  Depending on the type of gateway device you have, you can also connect a router to a router, giving you more than one wi-fi device, and let the business systems run on one, and with security settings in place, alolow customers to use the other one. (Each has it's own unique setssion id, and password so no crossover.)

(Goid bless them, but it is a shame, you, as a business, HAVE to restrict to a point, what your customers use your wi-fi for, but the sad truth is, as the owner of the internet connection, YOU are liable for any activity done over that connection. Granted, most folks won't. More likly, most will use the wi-fi so they don't use up data on their smart phones. BUT, all it takes in one.... no reason to get paranoid, however.  The benifit of using an experianced consultant is, they should know all about setting up you connection, so that kinda thing can't happen.)

I truly respect you providing wi-fi access for your customers. Also it is getting more common as well, as more folks are "connected: thru their devices.

Some places are even doing the opposite, using signal scramblers, so folks can't use cell phones while in a resturant, "disturbing other customers meals".

As I said, this was only personal observation and information.. I have never set up wi-fi in a business setting, and have no clue of what is needed, beyond the typical setup of a gateway, and maybe a remote wi-fi router, if needed.

I wish you luck, and a happy installation.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…