P

• 

10 Messages

Friday, December 30th, 2022 5:17 PM

Wi fi Mesh system

We have internet connectivity problems with our desk top computer and the wireless connectivity with Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc..  We purchased Wi Fi Extenders from At& T and had the router moved to a more central location in the basement. All computers, etc are on the first floor of the house We are still having the problem. Frequently lose connectivity in the middle of doing something on line. I read that a Wi Fi Mesh system is the next step.  It supposedly does a better job than a extender??  Any comments or suggestions are appreciated??  Should I try this?  I have priced them and see they are somewhat expensive, but I am willing to go $3-400 if the problem is solved.  Thanks for the input!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

1 year ago

Which AT&T Internet service do you have?

The AirTies extenders aren't very good.  A mesh system takes a different approach to providing wifi over an extended area.

I tend to stay away from saying "buy this one, it's great" because everyone's home environment is different and what might work great for me might not work well for you in your home.  So I usually tell people to look at the major tech sites for reviews/shootouts and find something that seems to fit your needs and is in your budget.  Then buy it from a seller with a good return policy in case you get one that just doesn't work in your place.  Lather, rinse, repeat until you find the Goldilocks system.  😁

• 

10 Messages

1 year ago

We have AT&T Internet 25 plan.  I have a second question.  I was researching various mesh systems and see that they replace the current router.  Is AT&T Ok with this?  Is it commonly done?  Will everything else stay the same?  I am not very tech savvy, so it is hard for me to know what the correct thing to do is.  Thanks for the input!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

1 year ago

Depending on which AT&T gateway you have, and service, most folks just put them in pass-through mode and allow the new, connected router to handle all the heavy lifting. As far as mesh WiFi systems go you can look at Netgear Orbi, Eero, Google Mesh, etc. There are a number of them to choose from depending on your coverage area, budget, needs, etc.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

1 year ago

Hmm...since there are two 25Mbps plans I need to ask.  Do you have Fixed Wireless, where you have a Pace 5268ac gateway connected to a small antenna mounted outside?  If so, forget the idea of the third party mesh system, you can't use anything like that with the FW service.

As far as your other question, AT&T does not support taking their gateway out of the loop and while it's not an uncommon thing (techie nerds will always find a way 😁) those users aren't usually bothered by AT&T.  It's just that we are asked not to talk about it, sorta like Fight Club.  🤣

• 

10 Messages

1 year ago

The gateway model number is 5268AC FXN.  I did not see any antenna.  If the 3rd party mesh is a no go, what do you suggest? Like I said in the original post, I just want a more dependable wi fi that does not cut out so much.  

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

1 year ago

It's only a no-go if your 5268ac runs a cable outside your home up to an antenna, which should be relatively obvious I would think.  No outside cable going to an antenna, you've got regular AT&T Internet service and are good to go with a third party router or mesh system.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.