budsimrin's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, October 30th, 2017 12:48 AM

Why does Uverse dual-band router Model 5268ac only have a single network name (SSID)?

Some of my devices have been assigned 2.4 GHz and I wish them to be assigned 5.0 and vice-versa.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Get into your 5268's (192.168.1.254) wifi section and change the 5GHz ssid.  Then access the wifi with your 2.4 ssid or 5 ssid as desired.  You will lose the band steering function though if you make the ssid's different (wifi chooses 5 or 2.4 depending on what its talking to for optimization which I think is what you are currently seeing).

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

You can change the ssids and passwords to anything you want.  It shouldn't affect ATT's firmware update pushes.  Just remember that these things are case sensitive and the simpler you make the passwords makes it easier to be hacked if you are concerned about that.  That's the reason the factory default passwords are as complex as they.

As for visitors, the 5268 should also provide for additional wifi guest settings for ssid/passwords (certainly my NVG599 does).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you both so much. What is confusing is that some of my N devices have been auto-assigned 5.0 and some of my ac devices have been assigned 2.4. For example, my N iPad is assigned 5.0 and my ac iPad is assigned 2.4. All the device assignments seem to be random. I can take xyzzy's advice and change the SSID of the 5.0 and then reassign the devices according to what they can handle (and also their distance, if necessary). But...

I am also confused about the following. The installer told me that if I change either the SSID or password that I might run into problems with future updates or system changes. That was before I realized the router came with just a single SSID for the two bands. My desire is actually to change both passwords to make them much simpler since I have  9 devices to control (currently). I also prefer to change both SSIDs to make the names more recognizable to me and any visitors. Would that cause any problems?

Again, thanks so much to both of you for your answers. I'l accept a solution and assign kudos when I figure out what to do.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

6 years ago

The 5268AC has guest networks for both 2.4 and 5GHz frequencies.  The NVG 599 only appears to offer guest network for 2.4GHz.  I never use these myself.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

6 years ago

In case anyone else is having trouble getting their Epson wireless printers to connect when using band steering see my post at:

Band Steering with Pace 5286AC for AirTies but Eps...                                                      

Short answer is these Epson printers can not work with band steering turned on.  To these printers to work you need to give each radio (2.4ghz and 5ghz) different SSID names.

The latest firmware update from ATT did change my SSIDs back to the same name so my AirTies and printers stopped working again.  I changed the name of the 5Ghz radio to a different name and went through the setup for all of the failed devices and now all is well.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Not true because if I have all devices OFF except my brand new MacBook Pro (5ghz compatible), it still slips off to 2.4 ghz if I don't disable 2.4.  It never chooses 5Ghz if given the option.  Before telling me I am too far from the router, that's not true either - about 20 feet, and I am picking up my neighbor's signals for both 2.4 and 5Ghz about 200 yards away.  So, I keep it on 5ghz to get decent speed, but unless I change it, my husband can't access it with his older MacBook Pro.  There should be a better way.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

6 years ago

I've seen similar behavior in the NVG 599. The firmware in these products is buggy. Kinda feels like as part of the monthly access fee, we get to pay for debugging and living with these no cost features. Especially considering how old the Arris device is now.   

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

This looks like it was excellent in 2017, but it's 2019 now, and the WIFI settings don't appear to support per-band SSID settings. Was there an update that lumped the two bands together or is there a non-obvious setting I'm missing? Any clue appreciated.

This is a Pace Plc 5268AC hardware version 260-2173300 software version 11.4.1.532484-att unified config/eapol-certs/cms-certs 532484 firewall rules 1000 application list 1001.

I have a client that isn't reliable on 5ghz and would really, earnestly like to disable 5ghz operation until the device wears out or goes to the recycle center.

Thanks

ACE - Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

5 years ago

You can change the 2.4ghz & 5ghz SSIDs to different names through the gateway configuration. Go here for directions, entering your gateway model in the drop down.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

The info at the web page you specified

didn't help. However,staring at the wifi settings page in my router
again caused me to notice the "advanced options" hyperlink just above
"User Network" on the wifi settings. THAT's where the per-band settings
are hiding. Notice on the web page there is no mention of "advanced
options". So I contend the help information is incomplete while being a
bit embarrassed that I didn't see the link in the settings page.

Thanks
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.