tone1492's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Jan 29, 2019 3:46 PM

Why did AT&T report me to the Credit Bureau for equipment I returned months before?

I returned a AT&T modem/router to the UPS store and months later I see a derogatory hit to my credit score from AT&T. I called customer service and the representative tells me the report is because of equipment I had not returned. I told him that was not possible, as I had the UPS store return receipt still in my possession. He asked for the reference number which I provided and then told me the issue would be investigated and to call back in 3 days. I waited around 7 business days before I called back today only for a rep named Frank to tell me there was no record of the reference number I provided and I would need to wait another 3 business days for them to investigate the whereabouts of the modem. 

I asked Frank to speak with a supervisor and he transfered me to a desk I assumed was unoccupied since an answering service picked up. At this point I am doing my best to stay cool and respectful. My credit score has been wrecked due to no fault of my own. I hung up and called back and spoke to a very nice rep named Rose. She actually told me the equipment had been received and for me to wait a month or so for the derogatory mark on my credit score to be deleted. This confused me and I had a hard time believing her because the previous two reps were sure the equipment had not been received from UPS. I then did a search online and saw posts of other customers who have suffered being charged money and have been reported to the bureaus for equipment they had returned. Some kept their receipts and some did not. Some reported what happened to the Better Business Bureau. I am wondering what the best course of action is at this point. I don't want to wait a whole month only to call back and have a rep say they have no record of my returned receipt reference number and find myself back at square one, with a credit score that is 50 points lower than it should be. What should I do next? 

davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

3.6K Messages

3 y ago

@tone1492  First, hold on to that return receipt, it's your golden ticket. If you've (mostly) documented your calls, you can try a final call to reach a senior person & tell them that after all this time, your next call will the to the BBB. You should also dispute the damaging entry on your credit report- each credit reporting agency has its own process to follow for this. Present the return receipt to support your dispute. Be sure to let us know how this works out for you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

Thank you very much! I will keep that receipt and make copies as well. 

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.