Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
omancini's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Mon, Dec 5, 2016 11:50 PM

Why an uverse update reset my router to factory settings?

On 12/03/2016 uVerse triggered an update, as they more than often and regularly do. This time as the result the uVerse box was reset to the factory settings. The uVerse service worked fine after that and since my TV and my personal desktop are connected directly to the LAN Ports was not able to notify about the fact that after the whole system restarted after the update the box was reset to its factory settings. During the day we noticed that the security cameras stopped sending emails with activity and the phones, tablets, etc. had a hard time to get access to internet and was able to confirm that the SSID I designated to the Wi-Fi network was no longer available. After several hours of see that behavior decided to login to the uVerse modem from my LAN wired desktop, since I changed the IP segment to 172.16.x.x I used 172.16.0.1 in order to access the device (as I always did in the past) but was not able to reach the device. After several attempts suspected something weird to tried 192.168.1.254 and BINGO, was able to reach the configuration and using the default password from the sticker (that I also changed in the past) could configure everything back to what it was before. Now I had to configure everything back in order to reach the Wi-Fi again.

No notification came from AT&T indicating that an update on the components could reset the modems to factory values. I am not sure about why AT&T can release an update like this without taking into consideration that Customers may have customized the configuration within allowed limits in order to accommodate their needs. Kind of unacceptable but also irresponsible. We bet literally our lives to the reliability and dependability of the network provider and instead our vendor decided to trigger updates at any time or date with absolutely no notification. personal calls, family chats or even 911 calls may be suddenly interrupted for reasons that are not bringing clear or tangible benefit to the Customers.

No Responses!
Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.