darrenlic's profile

4 Messages

Thursday, January 18th, 2024 7:18 AM

What happens if I put the BGW320 gateway on its side?

I understand that it is passively cooled and has a tilt sensor that alarms if not upright and the tech needs it upright to close out his install ticket.  

But the question is, will it function on its side? (... or is there logic that will literally stop functioning if I leave it on its side?). How much hotter will it run on its side?

Has anyone run a BGW320 successfully on its side and if so for how long?  Has anyone monitored its internal temperature in the same environment (roughly) to see what the delta is between upright and on its side?

Thanks!

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

3 months ago

By changing the gateway orientation the internal antenna for your wireless coverage would be affected, I know it is affected when placing the BGW 210 on its side.

If have the wifi turned off using your own device placed behind the gateway should not be the same concern.

4 Messages

3 months ago

Wireless radio will be disabled on BGW320, so that’s not a concern. But still looking for any helpful answers to my original questions…

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

3 months ago

I doubt any consumer would be checking the internal temperature of equipment…

if the unit is not in an upgrade position will show on an ATT BBT quality check tests performed.

If you choose to run the equipment in a manner not consistent with recommend installation and suffer a premature malfunction you would be out of service till a replacement could be shipped or a tech sap point ent scheduled… either way I would consider 3 days to be the turn around… If your OK with being without fiber internet , example have a redundancy service such as local cable, FWA, or hotspot service then go ahead. 

4 Messages

3 months ago

Thanks for the comments. Risk of pre-mature failure might be a reasonable tradeoff, say MTBF reduction of no more than maybe 20%. But thats a bit academic.  I am mostly just interested in hearing from anyone that has experience running a BGW320 on its side.

If you are successfully running BGW320 on its side, please comment on experience!  (How long has it been? Any unexpected issues?).

Thank you all!

Tutor

• 

406 Messages

3 months ago

The unit will probably run hot and have a shorter life, potentially overheat and potentially shutdown (if running properly it will shut down the radios first and if that doesn't work, it will shutdown period).

It partially depends on where you stick it (e.g., in a refrigerator or in a closed hot box like an entertainment center).

The unit generates alot of heat and has alot of aluminum inside of it to try to cool it down (this is why it is so heavy). But that only does part of the cooling.

The design is like that of a nuclear cooling tower, narrower at the top and wider at the bottom, which forces air thru the device.

By turning it on the side, you basically stop the major cooling function of the device.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 months ago

The official statement would be that of the user's guide:

The BGW320-500 XGS-PON Broadband Gateway is intended for use in a consumer's home. Position the device in an upright vertical position located where ambient temperatures remain within a range of 32°- 107°F (0°- 41.7°C). The BGW320-500 XGS-PON Broadband Gateway should not be used in locations exposed to outside heat radiation or where it is subject to trapping of its own heat. The product should have at least two inches of clearance on all sides except the bottom when properly installed and should not be placed inside tightly enclosed spaces unless proper ventilation is provided.

It should run cooler with the Wi-Fi radios off, so heat may not be the issue it would be with them on.  However, my thoughts' comment about the device having a mechanism to determine its orientation is interesting, especially given the following from AT&T's Terms of Service (emphasis mine):

AT&T will repair or replace damaged AT&T Equipment as AT&T deems necessary and may charge you a fee for repair or replacement of the equipment. You understand that repair or replacement of equipment may delete stored content, reset personal settings, or otherwise alter the functionality of such equipment. You will be responsible for payment of service charges for visits by AT&T or its subcontractors to your premises when a service request results from causes not attributable to AT&T or its subcontractors, including, but not limited to, when you are unwilling to complete troubleshooting steps requested by AT&T. If you own the equipment or if the equipment is damaged due to your intentional acts or negligence as determined by AT&T, you will be responsible for the price of repair or replacement.

If the AT&T Equipment was damaged due to your intentional acts, negligence, or use inconsistent with this Agreement, as determined by AT&T, you will be responsible for the price of repair or replacement.Any tampering with the AT&T Equipment, including, for example, opening and attempting to modify the Equipment will be treated as damage due to your intentional acts or negligence. You agree that you will use the equipment only for its intended use and not for any other purpose (such as on another AT&T network, or on another provider’s (non-AT&T) network). You agree to use appropriate and reasonable care in using all AT&T Equipment.

(edited)

4 Messages

3 months ago

Ok, sounds like either nobody is running a BGW 320 on its side or maybe just unwilling to comment about it in a public forum :)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.