mjl0606's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Thursday, December 18th, 2014 4:01 AM

WAP Placement with Structured Wiring

I have structured wiring in my home with my AT&T Router and WAP currently in the wiring panel in my master closet.  In my upstairs game room which is centrally located in the house I'm having some trouble with my wireless receiver losing signal which leads me to my question.

Would it be possible/smart to try plugging the AT&T WAP into Cat5 up in my game room to better centralize my WAP for the 2 wireless receivers in my house?  Or would I better off keeping the AT&T WAP w/ the router in the panel and getting an extra WAP for the game room?

Several questions but any insight would be appreciated!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

I believe the recommend for "direct connection" Means not through another router.

If I understand a smart panel it is siply a place to hard wire connect two legs. I beleive if you connect RG to WAP at the panel, it qualifies as direct connection.

If you do not have access tp an RG port & need a router to produce a port it would NOT qualify.

The WAP should not be real close to the RG & should be close to the TVs it serves.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @mjl0606 

Just checking up on your post. I noticed 'my thoughts' was able to provide some helpful info and suggestions for this concern. Did this help answer your question?

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, just what I was looking for. Thanks for the follow up!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

@Anonymous thoughts, the low voltage company I met with suggested that I place my router in my smart panel where all my coax and cat5 is home run to. But I believe you're saying I should have router>RG>WAP all directly connected and not in the master closet where my panel is so what is the ideal setup for someone with structured wiring?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Hi MorganCS.  Thanks for checking in.  I'm still not 100% clear on something from "my thoughts" suggestions.  Perhaps you can help.

The low voltage company I met with suggested that I place my router in my smart panel where all my coax and cat5 is home run to. But I believe you're saying I should have router>RG>WAP all directly connected and not in the master closet where my panel is so what is the ideal setup for someone with structured wiring?  Can I keep my modem/router in my master closet and hard wire my WAP in another room tht is more open and centrally located, since that Cat5 runs right back to the router?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks  @aviewer .  The smart panel is where my Coax and Cat5 are home run so having my RG there allows for multiple hard-wired lines throughout the house.  I figured having my WAP hard wired back to the RG from another room was good, just wanted to seek a smarter opinion 😉

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.