jameskoontz's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, September 9th, 2012 5:29 AM

Very specific inability to connect to websites with U-verse that could be connected to with DSL

I recently upgrade my service from DSL to U-verse and was satisfied until I could not connect to websites related to work. I have reset the modem to factory defaults, a technician has been to my house and replaced the 3600HGV with a 3801HGV, numbers pings, traceroutes, etc. and still unable to connect. The websites are working and verified through mutliple sources.

Also, the church I attend is down the block and has ATT DSL still, so I took my laptop there and tried to connect to the sites.

If I cannot get this resolved, I will be getting my money and DSL back soon.

Is there something completely technical about the way DSL handles packets, ports, etc., that U-verse handles differently? I am super frustrated and, while I tend to agree that it is possible this is not ATTs problem since everything else works perfectly, it seems impossible that it is not related to my upgrade from DSL to U-verse.

Any help is very appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Solution has been found-- after several calls, a tier two support person actually believed that I had tried everything, had done my traceroutes, tried many different service providers and even the same (uverse) with all of them working. It ended up being that ATT gave me the IP of a spammer and it was specifically blocked on the server I was trying to access. Two days later, all was repaired. Thanks for your help!

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

jameskoontz - I think the only simple thing you can do is change the DNS servers in your computer - found under network settings.

Try google - 8.8.8.8 & also, try different browser - Google Chrome.

After that - there is a way to get the map of the route & where it gets lost. That is beyond my scope.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for your tip aviewer. I have tried multiple DNS servers and traceroutes--ATT tech support believes this is an issue with the specific IP my uverse modem was assigned. It is possible that the IP was blocked when previously leased due to spam or other malicious activity. Seems like it would have been easy to just switch my IP, but that is not the case apparently (though I do not know why).

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

jameskoontz- When stuck, grasp at straws - If you have a long period that you can leave it off (sleep, better - work during the day) by pulling the plug, when you turn it back on it could have a new IP. I guess that would depend on some activity that grabs it when you do not have it.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

12 years ago

So... AT&T was very helpful in directing you to the web site provider who had caused the issue?

I'm glad they were able to help you get that resolved.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.