sdfiberQequip's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 17th, 2015 5:52 PM

U-Verse Modem - Rent or Buy Options?

Can I buy a Fiber Optic Modem instead of renting one from AT&T? What are the necessary specs?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

@OldBoatingGuy wrote:

I was forced to lease the modem last year and now I see it was after Jan. 1, 2015?????

You said in your other post that you have an NVG 589.  That model device was never sold, always leased.  You probably needed dual pair to provide your service, which required use of the NVG 589 instead of any other modem (including those that could be purchased at that time).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Hey, I have been asking if I could purchase one since I got U-Verse in Feb. 2010, instead of paying the monthly ripoff...I mean rental fee, and have always been told, "Sorry, but that is not an option".

Oh, and the original gateway {that I probably paid for the total cost of 5x in monthly ripoff fees} I had since Feb. 2010 started to fail a month or so ago and the replacement they sent me {5½ years after the original one} is basically the same stone age gateway, even though the person on the phone told me it would be an updated model that supports faster speeds.  It does look a little different though.  Not to mention it was dirty and had something crusted onto it, so I had to clean and disinfect it, and it looks like a cat clawed it too.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

If there is a mandatory $7 monthly charge for a leased modem, how come AT&T does not advertise the total cost of internet service since that is not an optional add-on? Instead they bury it deep into the fine print of the TOS.  It's like buying a car advertised for $30K and then the seller asking for an additional $5K for an engine.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

AT&T is a big company and if what you are saying is correct, somebody needs to tell they guys answering the phones.   I just placed an order for AT&T U-verse Internet service and during the hour long call to get it set up,  the guy on the phone told me I could go to best buy and buy my own modem to avoid the $7/mo charge.    Here I am searching to find the right modem to buy before the installer arrives and  I find this article saying that it is not possible.  

It is pretty sad when a customer is talking to a customer service rep who knows nothing about the equipment he is selling....  I certainly hope the actual internet service is better than the pain I just went thru to get it tirned on.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I was given a false model number to preclude the $7.00 monthly fee. It is apparent that ATT has and will garner a substantial hold on existing modems through by what ever means necessary. Be it lawful or not. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I just signed up for u-verse today and now I regret it, for two reasons: One) I do not have the option of using my own modem/router, and Two) I was lied to and told that I did.

I had this long conversation with the person helping me set up the account, which was $25/month the whole time, until the end, when it became $32 including the $7 equipment rental fee. I was bothered by this and I asked him if I could buy and use my own modem/router. He replied "Absolutely. At that time they will remove the rental fee and you can install your own." There was no confusion. I came home tonight and got online to buy my equipment before my service is connected next week.

Now I find out that the modem required is owned by At&t, it cannot be purchased anywhere (not even from them), and the only option is to rent it from them monthly. So, no, I cannot buy my own modem later and send At&t's back and stop paying the rental fee. And now I am locked into a mandatory 12 month subscription, on false information.

If the equipment rental is mandatory, then the price of the U-verse IS the cost of the 'service' and also the cost of the 'equipment'. Stop acting like the rental is a separate fee, and advertise accordingly. And STOP LYING to your customers!! Train your employees to know the actual terms of the services they are selling!!

I have been dishonestly trapped into a 12 month U-verse contract - the consequence of not doing this research earlier today - but after my 12 months is up, I will be returning straight back to Suddenlink.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

If you got that $25/mo special because you have DirecTV, be prepared to bend over further.  After my 24 Mbps HSI installation , a couple of days later they advised of my total costs with both services and stated I was locked not only for one year with HSI (which I knew) but also another 2 years of DirecTV which was never stated in the letter nor the TOS.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@Red_Hazard wrote:

If you got that $25/mo special because you have DirecTV, be prepared to bend over further.  After my 24 Mbps HSI installation , a couple of days later they advised of my total costs with both services and stated I was locked not only for one year with HSI (which I knew) but also another 2 years of DirecTV which was never stated in the letter nor the TOS.

It's in the offer details online, 2 year term on DirecTV, but only 1st year at discount, 2d at regular price. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

It was not in the TOS linked in the on-line order process nor in the letter providing the offer.  The one year HSI committment was made clear and I have no issue with that.  However, after 1 year, I will be returning to cable and if there is an issue with the 2 year DirecTV "committment", I will file a complaint with the FTC and provide a copy of both the letter and TOS and AT&T can explain to them why it was hidden elsewhere (which I consider underhanded, sneaky, and a sleazey business practice).

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@Red_Hazard wrote:

It was not in the TOS linked in the on-line order process nor in the letter providing the offer.  The one year HSI committment was made clear and I have no issue with that.  However, after 1 year, I will be returning to cable and if there is an issue with the 2 year DirecTV "committment", I will file a complaint with the FTC and provide a copy of both the letter and TOS and AT&T can explain to them why it was hidden elsewhere (which I consider underhanded, sneaky, and a sleazey business practice).

Nothing will come of it, as it stated the DirecTV is discount only for 1st year, I saw it when looking at DirecTV on att.com. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.