sdfiberQequip's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 17th, 2015 5:52 PM

U-Verse Modem - Rent or Buy Options?

Can I buy a Fiber Optic Modem instead of renting one from AT&T? What are the necessary specs?

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

I am not getting any discount on DirecTV.  Why would I look at the DirecTV section when I am ordering HSI?  I guess I should have looked in the phone section too to find the hidden "gotcha"???

Sheeesh!!

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@Red_Hazard   Cause your message up above had also DirecTV for 2 years in it. Smiley Frustrated

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

I posted "If you got that $25/mo special because you have DirecTV..."  I did not indicate that I was acquiring DirecTV.  I already had it for over 4 years. After buying HSI, AT&T sent an email delineating the costs of BOTH DTV and the new HSI service (they removed a HD discount I was getting and are now charging for both DVRs) plus they indicated that I was now locked in for 2 years with DTV. When I signed up for HSI, there was no mention of DTV except that the bills would be combined.  NOTHING about being locked in for 2 more years and I read the TOS carefully as well as the letter offering the HSI discount.  So now my DTV bill went up in addition to the yearly price increase.  My only recourse is to wait a year and then terminate both DTV and HSI.  If there is a problem with quitting DTV, I'll take appropriate action.  AT&T has a record of getting fines for cheating customers and that is why I read the letter and TOS to carefully but it appearently did me no good.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

So if i have u-verse internet modem previously bought from att, can i avoid renting fee?

I used u-verse internet for 2years and quit. And i am considering go back to u-verse internet. Can i use my modem? or not??

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

8 years ago

@qnasb00 wrote:
So if i have u-verse internet modem previously bought from att, can i avoid renting fee?

I used u-verse internet for 2years and quit. And i am considering go back to u-verse internet. Can i use my modem? or not??

Any new installs will incur the monthly lease fee.  No way around it.

Even if your modem worked, you'll still be charged the fee so you might as well use the latest equipment provided by the company.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Please be careful oldboatingguy,  ATT CSRs appear to exploit the technology deficit of the elderly population, Unfortunately. Especially with slamming. Ask around, observe posts, age diversity and sensitivity is not important.  I am really so saddened by r the lack of compassion 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

The information on the 19.99 DIRECTV, OR 29.99 IS A SCAM . Yes, you said it right, bend over.  Sadly,  I experienced a similar situation Lin Jan 2016 also. I should have known , IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. IN the fine print, it probably covers a multitude of covert fees ,slamming customers ,blackmailing them to keep the flow of money going.  Be prepared for the bills..I was shocked..

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

The information on the 19.99 DIRECTV, OR 29.99 IS A SCAM . Yes, you said it right, bend over.  Sadly,  I experienced a similar situation Lin Jan 2016 also. I should have known , IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. IN the fine print, it probably covers a multitude of covert fees ,slamming customers ,blackmailing them to keep the flow of money going.  Be prepared for the bills..I was shocked.. 

I have attempted to post this comment.  Unfortunately,  something is not allowing it. Interesting. Spell check time.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Start submitting complaints to the FCC at https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=38824.

I did after I was forced to change from my existing AT&T dsl service to uverse. The AT&T shyster that called me told me that equipment upgrades leading to a fiber optic service necessitated turning off the dsl service in my neighborhood. As there are no other options for wired internet service in my neighborhood other than AT&T, I had the choice of switching to uverse or turning it off. 

Guess what?  No fiber optic upgrade in my neighborhood is planned for the foreseeable future, despite having an AT&T cell tower 100 yards from me that is served by fiber. The functional result of switching to uverse? Marginally better speed, but a real problem with modem reliability, requiring modem re-boots several times a week.  AT&T's answer to modem reliability?  Bring me another crummy wireless router that has the same problems occur within a week or two of installing it. The financial penalty of uverse?  Once the "promotional" one year period is up, I'm paying a third more than I was before I switched. 

I finally started complaining to the FCC via the link I provided above, and guess what?  I got a call the following week from the "President Of AT&T" office (LOL!!) telling me they were intervening, and the problems would get resolved. Who do these people think they are fooling?  It took two complaints over a couple of months, but they finally did something about the line loss issues. The modem problems?  They continue. Hey AT&T!  If you buy crap, you get crap.  Pity you have to foist these crummy modems off on your customers, AND charge them a monthly rental fee of $7. 

This is the second time I've been slammed by AT&T (the first was long distance service back in the 90s), so no, this leopard isn't going to change its spots. If there were other wired services available, I'd change in a heartbeat. 

I heard that AT&T bought DirectTV a while back to increase their monopolistic position regarding communication services.  I hope they choke on it. DirectTV is like cable.  It is old school "take what we give you" tv subscription service, which is fading fast as a viable business. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

So did anyone find out if you could buy, rather than rent, a modem??

radio

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.