Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks guys.  I'm going to give it another shot tonight.  My confusion was around the PC to ASUS setup without internet.  I seem to recall it giving me an error message that I wasn't connected to the internet when I tried that (i.e. ASUS was required to be connected to internet for the initial setup).  Am I just wrong about that?  Also, I tried to use the Access Point mode on the ASUS, but got this message: 'In Access Point (AP) mode, the DHCP-assigned IP address changes. Install and use the Device Discovery Utility in order to detect the wireless router's IP address.'  But, after applying the AP mode change, I get an error message re: IP address change and can't get back in to access the Device Discovery Utility.  Again, any guidance here is appreciated.  Thanks again for all of the help.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Ok.  After ATT replaced the original gateway, I seem to have my ASUS router up and runing just fine.  THanks for all of the feedback on that...

However, I've run into a new problem now.  Both my wife and I work from home, and neither of us can log in to our VPN.  I was able to log in to my VPN on the old gateway for a few days, then nothing.  My wife was never able to log into her VPN after we switched to ATT.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Voyager

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

how do i know if this process worked for me? how do i check if my netgear nighthawk indeed is using an ouside ip address? thanks in advance.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Hi there,

I followed you instruction. At step 8, somehow I can not see the outside IP address in the Asus RT-AC68U router. It always show 192.168.1.65. Could you please tell me what could be the problem?

Thanks,

Larry

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have an ATT 3600HGV for my uverse service (just internet, no TV).  Since that is stuck on G standard about 18 months ago I purchased and installed a ASUS RT-AC68P so that my all my devices (PC, laptop, phones) would connect through the ASUS so that they are all on the same network and I can get the advantages of the ASUS.

I followed the various instructions on the net to connect the 2 routers including changing the LAN IP address for the ASUS and various other settings.  For about 6 months I had no problem.  As time went on I had an increasingly hard time connecting to the internet through my PC that was connected to the ASUS via a wired port.  The wired PC immediately connected to the router/network but increasingly websites would timeout trying to connect and when they did connect after some time if I clicked on a link it would try and reconnect and timeout on the site.  Any streaming video never had a problem once connected.  And there was never a problem with devices connecting wirelessly.  Eventually I disconnected the PC from the ASUS wired port and connected it directly to the HGV wired port.

Because I lost the ability to share files between my desktop wired to the HGV and the wireless devices connected to the ASUS I found this thread, read through 30some pages and tried 100 different suggestions with no resolution.  The last thing I did was perform a factory reset on the ASUS and set it up again based on the instructions and connected the PC back to the ASUS via a wired port.  Miraculously it worked perfectly.  But now about 5 months later the problem is occurring again and like the first time the more time that goes by the worse it gets (i.e. the more I have to reload web pages and keep hitting refresh until they can establish a connection). Today alone I probably refreshed 100 different times do to lost connections or the inability to connect the first time.  All while a streaming website streamed content w/ no hiccups.

So clearly I must have some setting/configuration not set up correctly or optimally and I know there are some network geniuses on this site so I wanted to see if anyone could provide a permanent solution or recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

7 years ago

Have you tried another factory reset on your ASUS?  Are you regularly upgrading its firmware to get security updates?  Some older versions of the ASUS firmware were vulnerable to certain attacks that would run stuff on the router, which may be happening to you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks Jeffer.  I have not.  After the last factory reset the ASUS upgraded the firmware to the lastest version.  Since it is something that gets worse as time goes on I'm thinking some setting must be off.  I don't want to (ah ... shouldn't have to) do a factory reset every 6 months.  That said, I'll check to see if I'm on the latest firmware and if not upgrade it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

im using a uverse pace 5268ac and an asus rt-ac68u. i followed this setup and my router/internet is working great, but my TV completely failed. 

i reversed this step:

10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.

so basically i put a check in stealth mode and block ping (which is the default setting) and now my TV works again. why does my TV only work when these are checked? is there a benefit to NOT having these checked? will my wireless network work ok if these are turned on?

edit: i also have my uverse TV set top boxes plugged directly into the original uverse pace 5268ac modem/router.

please help, thanks!

Stephen

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.