Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

@cota348jb, SomeJoe7777 is no longer active in these forums, so I doubt you'll get an answer from him.

However, I think I can help you.  If you are only interested in better Wi-Fi coverage, then what you want is post 13 in this thread, which describes how to connect a Wireless Router as if it were an Access Point.   Briefly:

1) Lock the 2.4 GHz channel on the 5268 at one of 1, 6 or 11.

2) Lock the 2.4 GHz channel on the Asus at one of the other two of the list above.

3) Set the SSID, Access Passphrase and Security settings to match between the two

4) Turn off DHCP on the LAN side of the ASUS.

5) You have a choice here:

5a) Connect a LAN port of the ASUS to a LAN port of the 5268 via an "Ethernet cable"

5b) The ASUS likely has an Access Point setting in its firmware.  You may chose that and connect the WAN port of the ASUS to the 5268ac.

6) Separate the two devices by at least a meter (or much further to provide better coverage of your home).

7) You may treat any of the ports on the ASUS as if they were on the 5268ac (EXCEPT U-verse IPTV equipment may not be connected to the 5268ac).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Sound too complicated

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

MrSnoopy wrote:

Doestn't work

Sound too complicated

Which is it?  Doesn't work or sounds too complicated?  What is it that is too complicated?  What is it that doesn't work?  Can you be [a lot] more specific?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Is there anyone on here that would take the time to explain to me what i need to do to get my WRT1900ACS Linksys Router connected to my NVG589 Modem from At&T. I have paid Linksys support a fee to configure it out for me and told them of the issue with both routers being on same address and that it would cause a problem and the lady told me and I do quote" you have a smart wifi router", "It will know what to do!' I hung uo the phone and have been on this thing all day. Att said that they cant help me that i have to speak to Linksys and they apparently cant grasp my problem.....

I just need to connect the Liknsys to the Arris for beeter?extended range bc there is barely a signal in the back of the house and as I told the foreign lady today I am not running a 50 ft ethernet cord thru my house for this problem.

i purchased a dlink extender today and pray it gets here soon but this Linksys Router is a beast so it should do everything i need and then some, if i could just get someone to help me out. The linksys remote access lady didnt do anything but configure the router like it was the only one on the network so it dropped constantly or wouldnt connect at all.

I really would appreciate anyones help My child is dying to get on the xbox and I really need to get back to finishing my work as well.........please help anyone......ive created a special email account just to speak witgh someone/anyone about this so we dont have to post all here....

*** heres what i got and what i need help with......

ATT Motorola Arris NVG589 Modem combo from att uverse for internet and phone and 

Linksys WRT1900ACS Dual Band gigabit wifi router, that i want ot use to extend range or signal in home. So basicaly just an access point i do believe. 

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Hi there.  I'm trying to set up a ASUS 3100 wireless router connected to my ATT Uverse modem/router.  My ATT Uverse modem/router is an Arris NVG599.  Do these instructions apply to this device as well?  I'm having trouble setting this up.

Thanks,

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

Yes.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks.  Novice here.  Is there a recommended approach from the group re: Access Point vs Router?

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

7 years ago

I suggest Access Point, much easier to configure than router. I have my TP-Link router set up as an AP and it works perfectly with the AT&T gateway. Just follow the instructions for AP.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Helpful.  Will give this a go tonight.  Appreciate it.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

One additional question:  I didn't see it mentioned in the directions, but do I need to disable to the wifi on the ATT modem/router to avoid conflicting signals?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.