For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
tekwrite's profile

• 

24 Messages

Monday, September 19th, 2022 1:37 AM

Using Ooma VoIP device on new mesh network on BGW320-505

I am switching to a TP-Link mesh network. Currently I have the Ooma device plugged into one of the ethernet ports on the BGW320-505 router. I assume I do not need to change anything?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

How do you have the TP-Link set up....access point or router (using IP Passthrough)?

If IP Passthrough, as long as you haven't disabled the BGW's firewall you could still leave the Ooma connected there.  Just realize that you won't be able to get to it via any computer on the TP-Link side of things since it's on a different subnet. 

• 

24 Messages

2 years ago

I have not set it up yet. Yes I will use passthrough.

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

2 years ago

The only reason I can think of to access Ooma directly would be the Installation tool.  All other network traffic is initiated by the Ooma to the Ooma servers, so once it's configured, or you're trying to check it with the installation program, it really shouldn't matter which it's connected to.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

I have a similar VOIP box and that's what I was cautioning about since mine can be configured via a LAN connection.  I wasn't sure if the Ooma had that same capability. 

But of course even if it did, one could just connect a computer to the BGW and they'd be in business.

• 

24 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

2 years ago

Yeah, the Ooma Telo doesn't have much in the way of documented direct access on its "WAN" interface (which is probably for the best).  There is a LAN interface.

• 

24 Messages

2 years ago

It's plugged into an Ethernet point on the ATT unit.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

2 years ago

Your Ooma has 2 Ethernet jacks, labeled HOME (lan) and NETWORK (wan).  You should have the NETWORK jack connected to something (e.g. the Gateway) and the HOME jack should probably be unoccupied.  Is this the way you have it?

(edited)

• 

24 Messages

2 years ago

Yes, thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.