Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Lkm0218's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, January 23rd, 2024 2:56 AM

Suitable Router for Streaming & Question About Upgrading Internet Plan

I recently upgraded to a new router when the old one quit working (it was several years old and no longer supported by AT&T).  New router is a BGW210.   I have decided to cancel my satellite TV service and go to streaming.  I currently have AT&T's basic internet plan.  After some research, I've determined I need to upgrade my internet plan in order to have suitable internet speed for streaming TV.  Currently my wifi is used for only one device, my laptop (sometimes I use it for my phone, but not often).  Just everyday usage, email and web browsing.  So I would be adding one more device, my TV.  My questions are:

1. Does the BGW210 Router work well for streaming TV?  (I'm not technologically savvy and am new to streaming, so I apologize if this seems like a silly question.)

2. In looking at the charges for the next level internet plan, I see an "equipment charge."  Is this for a new router?  If the BGW 210 is suitable for what I want, then I obviously don't need a new one.  Can I request that one not be sent when I request my internet upgrade?

Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

4 months ago

Your an ADSL2+ account which is single pair service with long copper loop from the central office (IP-CO) or remote terminal (IP-RT) likely between 3500 to 6500 feet.

Today Internet 10 should be similar priced to internet 3 as as NEW account but would have been a $10 price difference in 2015. Internet 3 was PRO, internet 6 was ELITE and internet 12 was MAX. Some speed tiers were changed to more closely align with cable speed tiers in 2016 with 6 dropping to 5 and 12 dropping to 10.

While the FWA product known as ATT AIR is similar to offerings from T-Mobile and Verizon with much better download and upload speeds than internet 3 or 10 along with no data cap, $60 a month and no equipment fee (all pros) it does have some shortcomings such as signal can be affected by weather including fog, rain, snow, requiring Line Of Sight to cell tower (buildings, trees potential interference) and is CGNAT with private IP address from upstream device while hardwired service has a public IP addresses. These cons can result in not receiving local stations due to geolocation as well as being out of market for some sports. 

If local cable is not an option there is satellite internet (3 different providers) with StarLink being a good but more expensive choice as well as other WISPs or FWA providers. 

https://broadbandnow.com

enter your address to determine ISPs that support your zip code but might not support your address.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

4 months ago

My $0.02, I’d actually give Internet 10 a try believe it or not.  You won’t be able to stream 4K, but it should be good enough for single user HD streaming provided line quality is solid.  And herein comes the caveat as Att is working to sunset DSL.  So if this is your only viable option, hope that it works.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

4 months ago

The BGW210 is a gateway (router/modem combination). AT&T requires you to use their equipment, hence the equipment charge. If you don't feel the WiFi portion of the router is going to be sufficient you can always add your own router, with some configuration to the gateway, but you still have to use the gateway to connect to AT&T and pay the equipment "rental" fee.

Just set it up. If your WiFi speeds are sufficient for what you want to do then you're done.

To be clear, there are modems (which connect to the service provider), routers (which add WiFi and security), or gateways (which are both, router and modem in one unit). 

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

4 months ago

First what internet plan do you have?

For how much?

When checking your address online what is the best speed available?

Equipment fee is $10 per month, if your on ACCESS low income internet plan the equipment fee would be waived... increasing your speed may remove the access condition resulting in being charged the fee.

It may be that the current speed you have is the best speed you can have with ATT. Depending on the facilities and copper loop distance from the source the following in decreasing order are the copper speed tiers....

100, 75, 50, 45, 25, 24, 18, 12, 10, 6, 5, 3, 1.5 and .76

For 2 devices to have minimal chance of both being able to stream in HD recommend internet 12 or above, the higher the better.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

4 months ago

Thank you both for your responses and assistance.

I currently have the Internet Basic 3 plan -- up to 3 Mbps download, $61/month.  The only other plan currently available at my address is AT&T Internet 10.  I've also just noticed that AT&T Internet Air is available at my address, but it's not clear to me how much it would increase my speed.

I've tested my internet speed online, and the best speed I've gotten is 3.5 Mbps download, 0.1 upload.

I'm not eligible for the ACCESS plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

4 months ago

@Lkm0218  Have you looked into other service providers in your area to see if you can get better service?

ACE - Expert

• 

32.3K Messages

4 months ago

Only 3Mbps and 10Mbps available where you live? Technically broadband (as anything always on and well above 56Kbps is), but those are very slow speeds by today's standards. I would definitely check for other providers in the area to see if anything can get you above 20Mbps (if not 50). Wonder how long until triple digits is considered basic (ignoring select areas trying to push the 1Gbps and higher).

Gateway is modem/router combo unit. Modem to bring in the internet, router to route to all your different devices.

Not all routers have WiFi, though in this day and age it is common that they do.

Monthly equipment charge is mandatory as AT&T 'rents' their Gateway. (I am against this as I have continued to buy my own Gateway which lasts at least a couple years beyond what I would have paid for a year of renting)

Note: Newer plans are $10 higher to hide the equipment charge, similar to new accounts with DirecTV satellite having HD included but raising other receiver services.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

4 months ago

It does appear that internet 3 and 10 are my only options with AT&T currently.  I live in a rural area, don't know if that has anything to do with it.  I have not yet looked into other service providers, but I will before making a final decision.   @my thoughts thank you for that link.  I had noted those drawbacks to the Internet Air option which was the reason I was hesitant about it.

@gr8sho I don't think I would be able to stream 4K anyway, as I don't have a smart TV and will be connecting a basic-level streaming device to my current one. 

Thank you all for your input and suggestions.  You've been very helpful.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

4 months ago

Being rural probably has everything to do with it.  I hope the circuit can support your needs.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.