A

• 

7 Messages

Friday, January 29th, 2021 7:17 PM

Starting VPN drops WiFi connection to the AT&T router immediately

I am a u-verse subscriber for ages. recently I am finding that as soon as I turn the VPN on, the WiFi connection to my router drops immediately.  It is consistent....no exception. This problem did not exist before. Occasional drop out used to occur but tolerable. It has gotten worse now that it drops WiFi connection every time. AT&T checked connection to the modem from their side and seem to show 100Mb speed for downlink.  As I am WFH, not having VPN impacts me VERY badly. I guess the router may have gone bad.  Does anyone else have a similar experience?  I suspect router wiFi HW issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Atul

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

@aatambe , that's sort of what I thought.  Can you find out from your company's IT whether your VPN is split tunnel or not?  What that means is this:

• a split-tunnel VPN looks at the destination address for the traffic from the PC and decides whether to send it through the VPN tunnel or let it go its normal way
  • A conventional, no-split, VPN routes all traffic into the VPN tunnel to be routed on the other end.  At the other end, if destined for the Internet (instead of the local environment), it may or may not be routed to the Internet depending on company policies.

If you have a split tunnel, then when you bring your VPN up, only the traffic intended for your company goes into the VPN.  Your other traffic (including things for your printers in your own home, etc.) goes directly there.  

If you have a no-split, then all your traffic goes into the VPN.  Your local printers don't work.  Your traffic to the Internet (websites) may not work because of routing policy.  The icon in your tray that says "no internet" just tries to connect to a certain Microsoft address; if it can't get there, then "no internet".

Sounds to me like either your VPN type has changed, or the routing policies on the far end of the VPN have changed, perhaps inadvertently.  Either way, I think this issue will be solved by your IT and the VPN software and not by AT&T.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

Do you have a similar issue with a cable connection to the router?

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Yes. similar issue.  Internet just stops - no traffic flows.  I am on the wired Ethernet right now with WiFi explicitly disabled.

However when I go to VPN, it shows connected but the traffic stops and I get that globe symbol showing no internet connection.

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

I have requested a new modem but I do not believe it is a modem issues.  That is why I am asking here.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

So... when you lose the Wi-Fi connection when you bring the VPN up, you see the VPN drop because the Wi-Fi connection drops?  Then does the Wi-Fi connection come back up?

When on Ethernet, "traffic stops"?  How do you know this?

Who is providing your VPN?  Is it a VPN service or one provided by your employer or other Private VPN?

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

VPN is provided by my Employer and has been working until now.

When I am not on VPN, I can be watching a video on  YouTube or just visiting Yahoo without any issue. If I then connect to VPN, the video stops and I cannot go to any site (yahoo included). I.e. Traffic stops. Checking the icons on the bottom right corner of the Windows machine, it says no internet.

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

AT&T is sending me a new router but I doubt that will solve the problem. I am also trying to get hold of my company IT but without VPN access, difficult to access internal links.  We will see.

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

I will be installing the new router later today

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks. jefferMC.

What you said makes sense.  Talked to my IT who fixed some DNS entries on my laptop and things are working. New Modem may or may not have helped but it is there now. Now on to another problem of disabling Wifi and using my own WiFi router which is much better than Motorola one that AT&T gives me.  but that is the topic on another thread.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.