Cyber Monday Deals: Buy a Samsung Google S22 & get Free Galaxy Buds 2 - while supplies last!
DerHelm's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Fri, Sep 2, 2011 7:04 PM

So no joy on using a router behind the 2Wire with more than 1 IP?

So thing were working "decently enough" when I was using a Netscreen 50 with 3 static IPs, 1 of them being mapped.

It would get a few time out remoting in, which I always though was due to my TOE card, till now.

I changed out my Netscreen to a Cisco 851w and all heck broke lose. I was getting time outs in and out, like only one session from a single public IP would be allowed at any given time.  Come to find out the 2Wire will only keep 1 IP per Mac address in the arp table (thanks SomeJoe, I was beginning to thing I was going crazy till I read that)

Now even after I changed back to my Netscreen I am having the same issues as I did with my Cisco.

Does any one have any suggestions for a work around to get more than 1 static IP on a router behind the 2Wire?

My worst case scenario is using a router per public IP, and just using 2.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

SomeJoe7777

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

No, you can't use more than one static IP on a router behind the 2Wire. That would require either the 2Wire to recognize multihomed hosts (which it won't), or would require you to insert a static route into the 2Wire (which you can't).

If you have to use statics, you'll have to connect those hosts directly to the 2Wire or use a separate router for each host.

If there's a way for the outside-accessible service to run through NAT, then you can just use one router, put the server behind that, and port forward all on 1 IP.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

You know, it's funny.

I can not for the life of me fathom any reason why you would have to rotate a Mac address according to an egress IP address on a single interface. Yet I am surprised Cisco has no command for that.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

So SomeJoe, quick question.

Looks like acording to my 2Wire I can static the Single IPs:

"...Alternately, you may also statically assign public IP addresses on the devices themselves. Statically addressed device addresses will override settings made on this page...."

Do you recomend staticly assigning the IP or DHCPing them to the routers?

SomeJoe7777

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

The 2Wire seems to behave better if the device is set to DHCP and you assign it the address from within the 2Wire interface. However, I have also had success with statically assigning the IP address on the device, but sometimes the device won't appear in the 2Wire's list of devices if you do it that way.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

TY Joe, been up and running with no issues.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.