lildevild's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, September 29th, 2017 3:42 PM

Slow speeds while in DMZ+ mode

I have tried three different routers and all of them run at 60 mbps down and around 220 up.  What is wrong with my Pace 5268AC.

First modem:

WNDR3700 - returned

Second Modem:

ASUS RT68U - still have and running dd-wrt

Third and final which I'm keeping:

pfsense box running on a quad core i5 with two Intel Gigabit PCI Network cards.

Long and short is I tried to put all of these in cascaded router mode / DMZ+ and everyone of them gave me the same speeds.  However if I hook up directly to the Pace I get 950 +/- down and 950 +/- up.

What gives?  I have seen other people with the same problem.  The Pace's firewall settings are horrendous, plus I can't monitor my bandwidth using NetFlow like I can with my pfsense.  I'm very close to cancelling AT&T and going back to Comcast.

Thanks,

Chris P.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Just confirming same BIG problem here with the ATT 5268AC.  Ever since the v11.1.0.531418 update, DMZ+ will only give a max of 40-50Mbps (on a Gigabit connection).  Everything was working fine before ATT force updated the modem.  ATT PLEASE GET IT TOGETHER.  EVERYONE IS HAVING THIS ISSUE.  WE NEED A FIX NOW. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have the same exact issue with DMZ plus and only recently.  Also noticed the slow performance of page loads while in the modem configuration pages and the 5GHz Wifi mysteriously enabled after being off since installation.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

Same issue here. Support was basically useless. It sounded like they didn’t know what DMZ+ was although they never admitted to it. They claimed they tried to enable IP pass through on the backend but that did nothing. Speed is great without DMZ+ but drops to 40-50mbps when it’s on.

I think they’re sending me an Arris NVG589 but now I’m not sure because it sounds outdated. Doesn’t even have a 5ghz band. Not that I care since I won’t use it. Anyone have luck with other gateways?

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

5 years ago

I've heard the other gateways work great, and no issues with dmz/bypass ... It's only the pace at this point that is giving problems. It's a shame.. just let the users get the functionality they need out of the gateways instead of neutering the firmware and causing all kinds of problems in the process. With the right firmware that could be a nice gateway.

-Swerved

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I have the NVG 589, didn't make much of a difference in my setup. I'm using
a USG Pro behind my NVG989 in pass through, but I still rarely get above
100 mbps. I'm switching back to Comcast once my contract is up with AT&T
which is next month.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

@lildevild - you’re sure your issues are related to DMZ/passthrough? Or are the speeds slow even when connected directly into your gateway with an Ethernet cable or its wifi?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I chatted with support two days ago and asked for a new gateway and something other than the Pace 5268AC. The agent told be I would be getting a BGW210. I was fine with that. The box arrived today and inside was... another Pace 5268AC. 🙂 Sooo, back onto support chat tonight. The agent scheduled a tech visit and I am supposed to get something other than the Pace on this weekend. Hopefully the second time's a charm. This is an inconvenience for sure, we should get what we pay for, and AT&T needs to fix this issue ... and it's also a first-world problem. I'm thankful that the gateway at least still works and I'm getting 50Mbps and not something like 5Mbps or zero. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

It's been this way since I got AT&T gigabit.  If I connect to it directly, i.e. using AT&T NVG589 and through Ethernet, I always get full speed.  However the second I hook up my router, regardless of whether it is an Edgerouter, my USG Pro, ASUS-RT68U or any consumer router, my speeds drop.  I have also had a home build pfSense firewall that had a dual gigabit Intel network card, same thing happened.  All of these configurations I have tried IP passthrough and DMZ+ and the result is always the same, my speeds drop to 100-200mbps down.  Again if hooked directly through Ethernet to the AT&T Gateway I get full speed.  I have had the service for two years, talked with support numerous times, they always blamed it on my router, then sent out a tech who had NO IDEA what he was doing or what I was even talking about when I explained MAC addresses or 802.1X authentication frames... their answer was to give me the NVG589 to replace the newer Pace, this didn't help either but I wasn't arguing anymore.  If I had my way I'd be directly connected to the ONT with an Edgerouter, but that's not going to work thanks to the janky 802.1x frame authentication.   /end of rant.  Going back to Comcast.  Which I dread too, but at least I always got my advertised speed and could use whatever Router I want.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Well, not sure what happened, haven't changed a thing in my network configuration, but I checked this morning after seeing new posts here.

Annotation 2018-12-06 081123.jpg

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

@lildevild is that plugged directly into your secondary router or directly into the gateway? When I plug into the gateway I get those speeds, but when I plug into my secondary router I only get 40-50 down. Although now I get the correct speeds since I downgraded my firmware to 10.7.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.