MMC2ELGIN's profile

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

Monday, January 1st, 2018 1:02 AM

Service still slow after tech installed new router/modem, Legacy ?

Dec. 15 our DSL Broadband Service became very slow and kept disconnecting. Resetting provided only temporary improvement. Contacting Customer Service has been time consuming and fruitless effort. At this time I have invested at least 10 hours in just talking to your Customer Service Phone and Chat Representatives. First Service Tech came out 17th of December and replaced the underground line which helped the disconnecting issue, but speed was still very slow. Second tech came out on Friday 29th of December and replaced the Gateway 7550 Modem/Router, but speed is still too slow to load even AT&T's own web page in less than 15 minutes. Second Service Tech had suggested upgrading service, but investigation says we have the best you will provide in our area. Im now getting a message on my iPad that this Brand New equipment installed by Tech on Friday is a "Legacy Router" and too suboptimal to work. Customer Service said they would send someone today, but no one ever came or even called to reschedule. Its now December 31st and Im tired of being bounced between customer service agents, and being asked to perform the same tests over and over or asked if Im intrested in switching to Directv. If you werent my only choice for broadband DSL in my area I would have fired you and started a new service with someone else.

Scholar

• 

290 Messages

6 years ago

@MMC2ELGIN

When the service seems at its worst could you please post your modem statistics here?

There are items that depending on the numbers could help identify your issue. I too am on a legacy 

tier same one as you 768/128k ADSL and I've noticed LATELY that the service seems to be having latency issues too.

I'm in the Southeast Bell South legacy area. I'm wondering if this is a peering issue and NOT a equipment issue, but I'm not sure of that...the latency you mention with your service indicates equipment issues. Stats page will look similar to this. 

Line StateUp
ModulationDMT
Data PathFast

To ModemTo Internet
Data Rate (kbps)768128
SNR Margin (dB)30.016.0
Line Attenuation (dB)13.58.0
Output power (dBm)0.00.8
Loss of signal00
Loss of frame00
CRC Errors06

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

DSL Information
Line State Up
Modulation ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

To Gateway To Internet
Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 768 384
SN Margin (dB) 41.6 14.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 9.0 2.5
Loss of Signal 2 1
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 103 0

Rebooted Gateway for the umpteenth time this afternoon, it worked O.K. for a little while.This is a snap shot of when it stalled loading an eBay page 01/08/2018 11:00pm.

Latency errors, Packet Loss-high or 100% blocked,High Jitter (Triple digits),High Ping (Triple digits)along with very low Upload/Download speeds (.1 Mbps/.01 Mbps) are typically whats recording in the speed tests when things are at their worst, assuming they will run at all.

Messages I frequently see- No Server Available, No Secure Server Available,Netgear could not connect to your Broadband Service etc. Blank webpages that may or may not eventually load...

Scholar

• 

290 Messages

6 years ago

@MMC2ELGIN

The loss of signal seems to show a problem especially since you say you have rebooted multiple times during the day, 

it's pretty clear to me that there is an issue! 

If you  could if you can open the NID (the customer portion of your NID) and find the test jack run the modem input ethernet

cord to that test jack instead of at your wall jack...then reconnect and try using the internet again. Also post the stats....if there is NO change AT&T has line and or other issues and THEY will need to fix it.  We need to rule out the inside lines first, if they are the issue you will need to fix those yourself or pay AT&T to do so. But I am leaning towards this being an AT&T equipment issue.  Please follow up...thanks! The first tech may have fixed one problem, the line to the ped or pole but the lines beyond that might have issues as well, it could also be issues where you are connected to the DSLAM

possibly loose wires, or faulty shelf data cards, ect....they need to send out an experienced line or network tech to solve the issue most likely....

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

Ive been paying AT&T for a home service repair plan for over 20yrs, so they are also responsible for repairing or even completely rewiring the phone lines inside of our house. The problem is getting a service tech to even listen. Theyve been told about the test results and the response is they either change the subject or act like I havent said anything. This indicates to me that (1) They dont put any value on the tests, (2) They dont know what to do with the information or (3) This is going to require more effort or money to fix than they want to invest.

From what I can tell we have 2 AT&T repair techs for Bastrop County, and both have been here on seperate occasions. The question is... Even if I buy a a cable to bypass the inside wiring and regardless of results, how do I get them to do anything ? The last 2 appointments we had set up with them resulted in our staying home all day and no one showed up or even called to let us know they couldnt make it !!!

Scholar

• 

290 Messages

6 years ago

@MMC2ELGIN

I sent you a private message....look up to the upper right hand corner of the page and click on the envelope

you will find it there. Let me know if you received it. Thanks. 

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

We have an AT&T home service and repair plan, so they are also responsible for any repairs or even completely replacing the phonelines or faulty jacks inside our home. It was confirmed that I have this coverage by the 1st Service Tech. and was also told this by Customer Service when I called them initially on December 15th. Both Service Repair guys that showed up appeared to have no intrest in any of the test results that I offered. I dont know if they automatically dismiss test results made by customers since we are not experts, they have no idea of how to interpret them, they don't have the power or influence to initiate the necessary repairs, or they need to send someone here who is more qualified to troubleshoot. Even though my interactions with AT&T have always been cordial I feel like Im being stonewalled when it comes to getting any kind of action. It took me an hour of work resetting and rebooting just so I could respond to you on this forum. This is getting exhausting...
Ive spent hours Calling and Chatting with Customer Service which has been totally ineffective. You invest hours running tests for them. They acknowledge theres a problem, but actually getting them to take the neccasary steps to fix anything is a different story. It reminds me of storys about people dealing with Slum Lords. Always smiling when they get the rent, but endless excuses if something needs to be fixed.
Locating "Customer Care" to escallate my case has been like trying to find something mythical since they apparently have no listed contact phone number or email address. In desperation I even tried contacting "Customer Care" by PM using the link they supplied to another customer on this forum, but that was a week ago with no response so far. If I had an alternative I probably would have given up long ago.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

Thank You. I finally got your message with the Link. I was getting an error message from my email account (No doubt related to my internet connectivity problems). I may have to wait till tomorrow when the public library is open to send my message to them. Sigh...

Scholar

• 

290 Messages

6 years ago

@MMC2ELGIN

Good to hear you received my PM. When you get a chance PM me with an update. Thanks 

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

Thank You to all the contributers of this forum. My service is now fixed. I had hesitated going to the next level and escallating with a complaint to the FCC or contacting the AT&T CEO office. But, that apparently was exactly what needed to happen.

Be aware though, the official sounding  calls I've received from "The Office of the CEO of AT&T" were fakes. Why would I say that? The person that made those calls had a distinct way of speaking so I almost immeadiately remembered their voice and manner from a previous interaction with Customer Service. I guess they believed it would impress me if they could get me to believe I was receiving a call from somebody "Important". What they actually succeeded in doing was add to my concerns about the ethics of this business.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

I wanted to add this info. about the "Legacy" Router Warning in case someone else needs help with this.

After AT&T repaired our internet they replaced our old Gateway 7550 Modem/Router with a new one that was an identical model. As soon as I connected my iPad Air to our new Wi-Fi, I got an unfamiliar message displaying "If this is your WiFi network, upgrade to an 802.11n/ac router. 802.11b provides suboptimal performance". I showed the message to the AT&T service tech before he left, but he acted clueless. I spoke with an AT&T Tech support guru and he was also stumped. The Gateway site was no help since they consider this to be an AT&T product. I couldnt locate anything on the Apple Forums other than something about 802.11b being obsolete technology and prone to getting hacked. That Sounded bad.

I finally decided to see if I could spot any difference between the new Gateways settings and the old Gateway settings (I had luckily printed out all the old Gateway settings when we started having issues with our internet back in December). My comparison revealed that the new Gateway Wi-Fi settings Mode was set to 11b and the old one had been set to "Mixed 11b,11g, & 11n".

This is what I ended up doing to fix this problem on my iPad Air.

**** Make a record of how things were set up prior to changing anything. Keep notes recording everything you did just in case you need to restore those settings later.****

Open your browser > In the address bar type in- 192.168.1.254 > Select Enter > You should now be on the Gateway router home page. Select "Wi-Fi setup" > If asked- Enter your code (It should be marked on the bottom of the Gateway) > Go to "Mode" and Select - "Mixed 11b,11g,&11n" from the drop down menu > Select "Save" > Return to Gateway home page > Close the Browser/Return to Home page > Reboot iPad.

Happily things went as desired. Now when I open the General Settings on the iPad ,the Wifi shows connected and no more ominous message.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.