A

• 

25.7K Messages

Saturday, August 24th, 2013 8:43 PM

Router behind router, 3801 RG as modem or in bridge mode?

Hello,

I have a 2Wire 3801 Uverse router and want to connect a better router for our home network (802.11n with GigE ports).  Short rant here…  it is very puzzling to me how AT&T continues to provide dinosaur RG units (802.11g with 10/100).  Anyone have a good explanation as to why?

I don’t mind getting my hands dirty with all of this – I sell semiconductors to PC OEM’s – but I am not heavily network saavy.  So, I have some questions, and I would like a recommended instruction.

There are two broadband ports on the back of the 3801 router – DSL and ONT.  Can I (and should I) plug my secondary router’s upstream port into one of these?  And, are these really “broadband” ports?  I am really hoping to avoid plugging the secondary router upstream into a 10/100 downstream on the 3801.  With the new router, everything in the home network will be faster, transfers between PC’s, NAS, wireless, etc., but with only 10/100 upstream all of the internet pipes will be limited.

Now, here’s what I’d like a recommended instruction on:  I understand that there are two modes that I can connect these two boxes together in, with the 3801 RG as a modem, or in bridge mode.  I’ve seen 2-wire instructions on-line but it looks like AT&T’s GUI/firmware is different.  The only choice that even comes close in my GUI is to “enable detection of router-behind-router conditions”.  There is also a choice for adding a “cascaded router” on the broadband link configuration page.

How would you recommend I connect the two boxes, and in what mode?

I have a couple of TV’s in our home Uverse network.  They don’t physically connect to the 3801, but are HPNA devices on the network.  I assume they will not be affected when I put the 3801 into bridge or modem mode, correct?

(By the way, FW version on my 3801 is 6.9.1.42-enh.tm)

Thank you for any help and insight you can provide,

Todd

Houston, TX

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks JefferMC!

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

I've tried setting up DMZPlus and it worked great except for the fact that I was unable to see the Uverse box from the Uverse iPhone app. Am I missing something? Maybe I need to set up my Airport Extreme as a "cascaded router" or "additional router" on the broadband link configuration page? I have searched and searched and still haven't found any information about what those settings even do. I really want to keep using my Airport Extreme because it makes my old crappy printer wireless and provides remote access to the router and Macs at my house using my iCloud account. Any ideas?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.