Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
123456a7's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Feb 21, 2017 5:02 PM

Router Access Password Protect

How do I set a password to the router to protect access and manipulation of settings from within the home?  Currently I can key in the IP address and will instantly have access to the router settings online.  Can this be password protected so that a password is required to gain access to the router?

iamarobot

Guru

• 

462 Messages

5 y ago

What I know is that if there will be any changes on the settings of the router it will ask first for the device access code but on the onset of accessing the router itself I do not know if you setup a password first. Robot Happy

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 y ago

Thank you for the response.  However, this does not work as once the IP address is entered into the computer the router information comes up displaying the "Home, Services, Settings, Site map" page (tabs) and the "Gateway Status" which includes the passwords to the wi-fi.  I was looking for a "login" screen to come up for the router before being able to see all of that information.  The "Home" tab includes information such as wi-fi passwords, Network name,status, etc... which I would think should require access to be able to view.   Thanks again for your assistance!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

I am having the same problem. If you are having trouble with Internet connection, will that same page show up automatically on Apple devices?

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 y ago

If you already know the wifi ssid and password then, yes, you can see the router's status page which shows that same info when you access it with a browser.  But if you you already know that info what does it matter?  You can't change that info if you don't know the device access code and that is not shown or ever displayed in the clear.

If you have physical access to the router then the default wifi ssid, password, and access code are stuck to a label on the side of the router.   But if changed by the "owner" of that router, while you could still get to see the ssid and password using an ethernet connection you still couldn't change that info if the access code was also changed.

So the moral of all this is the "owner" should take steps to physically protect the routert (e.g., lock it up with adequate ventilation) and only give the ssid and password to trusted people.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

You do not have to know the password to see the Router's access page. If
you are ignorant to the password but still connected, then you can type in
the router ip address and the page will appear.
_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 y ago

I guess I didn't explain it clearly enough.

Every one knows how to get "in" to the router.  Just use the http://192.168.1.254 as the url in your browser so long as you are using that router's wifi.  But if you you are using that router's a wifi connection all you will see is what you already know, i.e., ssid and password since you must have used if to connect to that router's wifi in the first place.  So you have learned nothing new and can't change it since you don't know the access code.

If you think you can use some "outside" wifi to get online and then access http://192.168.1.254 through your browser and expect to see a specific router it won't happen.  Maybe your confusion is you think that's different for each of ATT 's routers.  It isn't.

Update:

If you are ignorant to the password but still connected,

How can that happen?  Did someone in your house who knows the ssid and password just happen to walk away from their computer (or whatever) leaving it connected?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

I do not give our password to anybody. I put it on their devices. I put the
password to a Netgear router and they can type in the app address for the
AT@T router and get that password.
_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 y ago

I guess I don't see the problem here.  If you have a Netgear router behind the ATT router that is handling the wifi the wifi on the ATT router should be turned off.  So again who cares if they can see the ATT router's wifi password?  Just enter some garbage in there.  At any rate, it is what it is.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

We use both routers. One on one side of the building and one on the other.
If I turn off the AT@T router then the one behind it will not work.
_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 y ago

I didn't say turn off the ATT router.  I said turn off only it's wifi.  So are you using both wifi's?  And out of curiosity can someone using the Netgear's wifi enter http://192.168.1.254 into their browser and get "into" the ATT wifi router?  Have you actually tried this?  I'm guessing it won't work but I am not 100% sure. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

We are using both wifis and yes you can type in the ip address on the other
router and bring up AT@T router page.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

Do you have a solution for our problem yet?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

Part of it. We changed the default ip address but we think that will not
fix the page showing up on iPhones when internet is experiencing
difficulties.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

i need the answer to that question 

• 

1 Message

8 m ago

you can either enable mac filtering which means only the ip addresses of devices you choose are connected so even if some has your routers name and password they can not connect or enable security on your box itself where you would need a pin to access it. i agree the setup of showing password is stupid but i think it is done that way so you can get into your system if you forget your password with out having to redo everything. 

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.