forumtalkie's profile

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Jun 3, 2022 11:13 PM

return modem or not

phone rep said need to return modem to UPS or be charged $150, got email day after saying no need to return (no reply bot, so cannot email clarification). Need to return or not, with the inconsistent instruction? 

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

4分前

The AT&T reps are notorious for being wrong and sometimes the email is wrong.

Here's the official return policy. 

If you bring to UPS/Fedex, make sure you get a receipt and keep multiple copies safeguarded in case AT&T comes back a year or two later and tries to claim you never sent it.

(edited)

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

29.9K Messages

4分前

We checked when the recycle messages started going out and were told that the policy had not changed, the e-mails telling you to recycle should be ignored.  Proceed to a The UPS Store or FedEx Office with your equipment and account number.

• 

2 Messages

4分前

Will do, so people who trust the email messages asking you not to return will be charged $150 per modem for failing to return modem? How sad.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

29.9K Messages

4分前

so people who trust the email messages asking you not to return will be charged $150 per modem for failing to return modem? How sad.

I hope not, but I expect that someone will.

• 

2 Messages

2分前

This happened to me as well (here I'm repeating a question I posted separately): When I canceled service, the rep on the phone told me in no uncertain terms to return the modem or face a $150 charge; the next day, I received an email from AT&T with the subject line "Recycle your U-verse equipment" that stated, with just as much certainty, "there is no need for you to return your equipment" (the bold typeface was in the original email); then, because interacting with companies such as AT&T has rendered me permanently suspicious and paranoid, I called to double-check, and the rep told me to ignore the email and said that I must absolutely return the modem.

How is it possible to have any confidence in a company that operates like this?

Do I need to make a video recording of every step of the process of returning the modem at the UPS Store as well as getting a printed receipt to prove that I returned it in preparation for the moment in several months when, through incompetence or malice, AT&T accuses me of not returning the modem?

(edited)

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

2分前

🤣  That's exactly what I did!  Video opening the car door and gathering up all of the devices, walking into the UPS Store and the counter person scanning the barcodes.

I now have 27 copies of the receipt stashed away in various secure locations. (ok, well maybe 2 copies).

I'm ready for that inevitable day when they claim I didn't return the stuff.  😁

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.