For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
cassnedwards's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, August 23rd, 2014 1:21 AM

Residential gateway modem fee

I have been paying a $7 monthly fee for my gateway since we've had the service. Is there a way for me to buy the modem where I'm not paying this fee?

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

When it comes to rented gateways, any gateway you purchase similar to yours will have been stolen from AT&T. That usually causes problems especially if it's flagged stolen in the AT&T system.

On top of that, someone recently tried to buy their own gateway and tried to get the charges removed and for months it was there without change.

In other words, it's not worth the trouble.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

To not have a lease fee...

Need a single pair install, with internet only or internet/VoIP 

Internet plans of Pro (3) Elite (6), Max (12), Max Plus (18), Max Turbo (24)

Need to purchase either 3600 or 5031 ($100 new, 1 year warranty)

I purchased the 3600 and started getting charged a lease fee 7 months after I started service. I was told the same exact information when I called to initiate service about purchasing over leasing. I have tried to get the charges reversed only to be told I am not paying a fee for equipment leasing, as the fee's name suggests, I am paying for future support, that I did not sign up for, but is listed as equipment lease fee. And the lease fee changed in price from $6 to $7 a few months back.

I wonder how many other subscribers have this issue. I imagine only a few actually post about it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am having the exact same problem. This is a typical ATT phone support strategy. Wear you out with multiple 2 to 3 hour phone calls with no resolution. I just spent another 2 hours today at an AT&T store trying to resolve this 'Equipment Fee' charge. So far this 'Residential Gateway' has cost me close to $300 and counting. Anyway, I'm sick of dealing with the clowns at ATT and I have written a letter of complaint to the California Public Utilities Commission. I would suggest that you do the same in your respective state.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

Please click this AT&T logoCustomer Service link to send a Private Message (PM) to the AT&T customer service team to help you resolve your request. You can expect a reply via return PM (the blue envelope envelope  in the upper right hand corner of this site, next to your avatar and name) in a business day or three.  Speed things up by including your Billing Account Number, and the best time and way to reach you.

Make it clear that you've purchased the modem and that you either expect a refund/credit for the gateway, or a removal of the lease fee.  Starting this month, they no longer sell any gateways; if you had to have yours replaced today, they'd install one without payment and start charging you rent; however, pre-existing purchases aren't supposed to be charged the monthly fee.  If you've had it less than 12 months, maybe you could return the existing one for credit and get a new rental.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.