rasmith745's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, February 18th, 2015 4:53 PM

Replacing battery backup on Gateway

I have ATT uverse and have a battery backup unit in the basement.  The light is blinking red which means that I need to replace the battery.  I am getting the run around on how to replace the battery.  Has anybody had to do this?  AT&T gave a number to call but that service wants the model number of the battery which I can't find.  I have a 2wire battery backup unit.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you for your quick response.  I have the one that looks like a toaster.  

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

9 years ago

I got a new RG that has the battery backup inside of the gateway.  It is a lot smaller than the big gray one.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

So we have the big rectangle 2wire battery box. Our data cable, etc run from it. It's roughly the size of the aforementioned toaster.

So you said its to provide emergency voice in the event of an outage.   If it dies completely before i get it replaced, you mean our internet and tv will still work? 

And by removing screws on the sides i can access and remove the battery?

I accessed the server using the address on the front and it says we have 72 hours left.  Power light is green, battery light is red. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

9 years ago

@Familyofjoy wrote:

So we have the big rectangle 2wire battery box. Our data cable, etc run from it. It's roughly the size of the aforementioned toaster.

So you said its to provide emergency voice in the event of an outage.   If it dies completely before i get it replaced, you mean our internet and tv will still work

And by removing screws on the sides i can access and remove the battery?

I accessed the server using the address on the front and it says we have 72 hours left.  Power light is green, battery light is red. 

The battery backup provides POWER to the RG during a power outage. 

You'll have internet access if you have a battery powered laptop and TV will only work if it has a battery or other alternate power source (generator).

I've had power outages and the BBU kicked in.  I was able to access the internet on my laptop (via the laptop battery) but no TV because I had no alternate power source for the TV itself.

And remember that any cordless phones (power required) will not work during a power outage.  This is a good reason to have at least one corded phone in your home since it requires no power source. 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Right. I understand that about the power outage.

Let me clarify. 

If it takes several days to get a replacement battery here, and the battery uses the last of its reserve, will our services still function as long as we leave the box plugged in? 7-10 days for delivery , combined with less than 72 hours of battery life = making sure we're not going to lose tv and internet.  

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

9 years ago

@Familyofjoy wrote:

Right. I understand that about the power outage.

Let me clarify. 

If it takes several days to get a replacement battery here, and the battery uses the last of its reserve, will our services still function as long as we leave the box plugged in? 7-10 days for delivery , combined with less than 72 hours of battery life = making sure we're not going to lose tv and internet.  

If you have power, then yes, everything will function.  The BBU only functions if there is a power outage.  You could unplug your modem from the BBU and plug it directly into an outlet/power strip.

You are not required to HAVE a BBU if you don't want it.  I have the BBU but when it dies, I'm so cheap, I'm not sure I'll replace it.  I won't have function on my modem during a power outage but I'll survive.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

What is the cause if I have replaced the battery on the toaster size BBC and the power and battery lights are both flashing red.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I have a separate battery backup for the base station of my cordless phone system.  Each cordless phone has a battery, also.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

My BBU is plugged into a battery backup.  The battery light on the gateway is off, so I assume the battery in the BBU is dead?  The light on the BBU is still green.  I've only had the BBU for two years, seems like a very short life, especially when it hasn't had to actually provide backup.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

6 years ago

Which modem/RG do you have?  Are you referring to the BBU originally provided by ATT?

FYI:  The information on this thread is dated.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.