alexgrd's profile

4 Messages

Wednesday, December 6th, 2023 9:32 PM

Replace BGW-210 to BGW-320 possibility

Hey,

Just called to the technical support with the ask of possibility of replacing BGW-210 to BGW-320

and got an answer that it's not feasible (I'm considering case when I'm personally buy a new router).

Is it true? If yes then I'm a little bit surprised.

May it be related that my apartment complex has business plan with you (fiber-1000) and it just doesn't work with such plans?

Accepted Solution

Former Employee

• 

22K Messages

3 months ago

The BGW 210 and BGW 320 are gateways, that is a combo unit of both the modem and router (all in one), the 320 also has a build in ONT and Wi-Fi 6 (ax) while both have 2.4Ghz b/g/n and 5ghz n/ac. However in your situation without a new install you would unplug the Ethernet cable from red port of 210 and plug it into the red port on the 320. After about 10 minutes of software updates would be good to go.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.3K Messages

3 months ago

A BGW320 should work any any fiber installation where a BGW210 would.  However, they may not want to install it for a variety of reasons.  If you are a VDSL2/ADSL2+ customer, then the BGW320 will not work for your service.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.1K Messages

3 months ago

You can't buy your own gateway, so forget that idea.    Want better wifi, buy your own system.   Do your research.  Most of them can run in access point mode which is least difficult way to connect to an Att gateway. 

Former Employee

• 

22K Messages

3 months ago

Looking at the back of your current BGW 210, which connector is being used, GREEN or RED?

Green would be xDSL speed tier of 100, 75, 50, 45, 25, 24, 18, 12, 10, 6, 5, 3, 1.5, or .76 depending on facilities, type of service and copper distance. The BGW-210 is the newest gateway available to support these services.

RED is an Ethernet connect back to an ONT for direct fiber service with most standard speed tiers being 300, 500, 1000, 2000 or 5000… each is a different price point. If your on a RED connection you could be upgraded to the BGW-320.

4 Messages

3 months ago

It seems that red:

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

34.3K Messages

3 months ago

So, yes, technically a 320 would work in your configuration, but other than being WiFi6, there's not a lot of other reason to have a 320, and I'd agree with the recommendation to get your own Wi-Fi access point or router, because it will be better than the 320.

4 Messages

3 months ago

Do you have any links where I can read about wiring up access point with ATT?

I don't have much knowledge about network. I was thinking that 320 is a router.

But from your comment it seems that not.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.1K Messages

3 months ago

Using your own WiFi system only involves connecting it to the gateway via Ethernet cable.  The beauty of using it as an access point is you don't have to muck with the gateway, although it is recommended to disable the radios in it to lessen chance of interference. On the personal router it simply involves a configuration change the user manual should explain. Quite easy really.  And if you're feeling generous to the networking manufacturer, can buy WiFi 7 device that should keep you good for a long time. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.