dsponder's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, March 18th, 2019 1:26 AM

relocate my router due to noise

Hello all, question I have today is this. Is it hard to rewire my wall jack to a different room? I want to move my router to my utility room since it makes a high pitch electrical noise. Right now its in my bedroom by the tv and from this point it back feeds via coax to my other tvs. The NID outside has a cat5 coming from it then through the wall in my room to a wall jack with two rj11 I think, though I canceled phone yrs ago so I only need the data plug. I would like to move this jack to the utility room can this be done by me? I'm pretty mechanical so basically the real question is will the router turn green after I move it? Thank you for the help.

Ps if anyone has a solution to my router noise id rather just do that.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

the jack is mounted to my inside wall where the router plugs into this jack. the jack is connected via cat 5 to the outside box nid. I want to unmount this jack and remount in a different room. both rooms are the same distance from my nid so im thinking to just unhook at the nid leaving the wall jack connected and just unscrew it and move it then drill through my wall run the cat5 to the out side and rehook it up. connecting tv via coax is no biggie I have cable ends crimp tools for both cat and coax.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

5 years ago

It might be easier to call & get a new gateway.  There's a 50/50 chance you'll get one that is silent. 

Note:  I've got a BGW210 and it makes zero noise.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I was going to give them a call today and see what they say. I just got my 50 internet service working. The first appt there were line issues then the 2nd appt it was up and running after a few hours. I don't feel like having a 3rd appt. So if they can just mail a replacement then done deal otherwise I'm moving this to a room where i can't hear it ring my ears. Thanks for the replies.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

5 years ago

Unless there are line issues, they can send an RG for self install.  I suppose you won't know until you call.  Just remember that you have 21 days to return the faulty one via FedEx/UPS.

My motto:  Work smarter, not harder.  Smiley Wink

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.