Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
hlejnjrh's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Mon, Jul 27, 2015 11:01 PM

Rebooting after power outage

I have a month-old NVG589 that replaced an older gateway for my U-verse phone and internet. We had brief power outages today, and I'm not sure the gateway behaved as it should. Here's what happened:

When power went out, all the lights on the front panel went off, except power (green) and Battery (orange/yellow). 

When the power went back on, all the appropriate lights came back on (green). 

HOWEVER, I could not access the internet, nor even access the gateway from a computer. The router just stopped working at all, and the only way to fix was to reboot the gateway.

Is this normal?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

6 y ago

Hi @hlejnjrh,

I am sorry about the issues you had after the power outage. I have seen this happen, where the devices and gateway have trouble communicating with each other after some downtime. Even if the device goes to sleep mode, and comes back up, it has connection issues. Usually, a quick IP release and renew resolves the issue, which is sometimes just easier to do by restarting the device or the gateway.

Hope this helps.

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 y ago

Thank you for replying. I'm not sure how helpful, though. This doesn't happen occasionally, it happens every time there is a glitch with our power, which in south Florida is a regular occurrence. It actually has happened several times when there wasn't any power issue.

I just can't believe it would be normal to have to walk out to the garage, reboot the router, and wait five minutes for it to boot back up every time. Is this unit defective?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

6 y ago

It definitely does not sound like it is acting right if it does it every time, and you have never had this issue before. One issue that you can encounter at times is during a prolonged outage, the network card no longer responds, because there is no longer a response in either direction. You can set your network card to constantly stay active to avoid this issue. 

Do you have a computer connected hard wired and are still having this problem? Also, if you restart the device, does it reconnect or is the only way to connect back up is by restarting the gateway?

-ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

I'd have to agree every time I try to watch a show or something I have to reboot everything and that doesn't help so we have to have a service tech come out just to restart it. It's ridiculous.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

So... how do you perform a “quick IP release?”

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

We had a storm yesterday and we had no power and when we got it back my phone seemed to be the only one that did not connect to the wifi it just said connecting and then saved and it never connected still have this problem some help?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

Well atleast you had a green and red light to adhere to, after the outtage here..the power box and the cable box didnt work...there wasnt any green or red lights. When cutting the power box back on,the back lights where the cords were showed some sign of life. But the green or red lights never returned.....same with the cable box...just wouldnt turn on.....not sure how that happened....when everything else in the house returned to normal afterwards

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.