Tom21_1993's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Friday, August 8th, 2014 6:39 AM

Port-Forwarding on the Arris NVG589 Gateway

So im trying to forward ports for my xbox 360 on my new arris nvg589 gateway that at&t gave me and ive run into some problems. When i want to do the ports 80 (TCP) and 53 (TCP and UDP) it gives me a message saying "

Warning: The change you are attempting to make may cause AT&T U-verse TV to stop working properly.

The other ones however, ports 3074 (UDP/TCP) and 88 (UDP) work without giving me this message. should i just go ahead and click confirm anyways despite the warning message or is there something i could be doing wrong here?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

45 Messages

10 years ago

Here's for NVG :

Step 1: You have to access your modem.

Start up a web browser (any one will do).

Next go to the address bar and type 192.168.1.254 and hit enter. This will take you to the main interface for your box where you may access a number of settings for your modem. You will also be prompted to provide an access code which will be located on the box itself and labeled "access code"

Step 2: Now, in order to allow for the changing of your NAT type from strict or moderate to open, you have to click on "Firewall." From here you have to click on the NAT/Gaming option which will take you to a page which gives you 3 registers: Hosted Applications, Application Hosting Entry, and Manage Custom Services.

Step 3: Under Manage Custom Services, you have to click the Custom Services option. Here, there will be an empty Service Entry page with the options: Service Name, Port Range, Base Host Port, and Protocol. Now, in order for your NAT type to change from moderate or strict to open for xbox live, which will allow you to connect to parties and games reliably, you have to create 4 individual custom services, and add them to the list.

Step 4: You have to create 4 services, and I will layout the creation process below: For the First one: Service Name: Port 88 UDP Global Port Range: 88-88 Base Host Port: 88 Protocol: UDP Then click add, For the next one: Service Name: Port 3074 UDP and TCP Global Port Range: 3074-3074 Base Host Port: 3074 Protocol: Both Then click add, For the next one: Service Name: Port 53 UDP and TCP Global Port Range: 53-53 Base Host Port: 53 Protocol: Both Then click add, For the last one: Service Name: Port 80 TCP Global Port Range: 80-80 Base Host Port: 80 Protocol: TCP Then click add. Now that you have all 4 custom services created they are in a list in front of you. Go down and click the return to NAT/Gaming button. This will bring you back to the page with the three registers.

Step 5: This step requires you to be connected to xbox live through the modem on your xbox 360 system. On the modem module, under the register titled Application Hosting Entry, you have to open the drop down menu titled "Needed by Device." Under this there should be Several IP addresses or names. You have to check what the IP address of your 360 system is and then make sure that for each entry you select this address for adding the service. Select the xbox system ip and then move up to the drop down menu labelled "Service." This will bring up a huge list of stuff that you will not care about. You need to scroll down until you find the four services you created, which will have a star next to their name. Ensuring you have the xbox system IP selected, select each of the custom services and then add them to the list. Now that all 4 of these services are added to the list, your xbox will recognize the ports as open and the NAT type as open. This will allow full connectivity to all aspects of xbox live with no trouble caused by a moderate or strict NAT type.

• 

1 Message

thank you for the Step 4!!! I did all and i assume restart and renew my xbox one connection with my home network. BUT i do ALSO want to know HOW uverse service gets affected with these ports i am opening. so i dont go nuts trying to figure out why my cable is acting up. IF incase that happens

(edited)

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

bump?? can someone help me with this please?

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

PLEASE, lol....

Scholar

• 

133 Messages

10 years ago

this was from an earlier post I had; it refers to the 2 wire router but it should give you enough to go on for the RG 589.  Ultimately I went with a different XBox solution; bought a UPnP router.  Lots of help on the forum for that solution as well.  If you have just one xbox the procedure below should be sufficient.

Some external references that might be helpful; when I was doing port forwarding I used somejoe7777 instructions which I copied below:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/t/157383.aspx

from somejoe7777

OK, I don't have an XBox 360, so I can't test this, but I did a lot of research tonight on this issue because this has been an ongoing question/problem that has been posted several times on the forum.  Here are a few facts and my recommendation:

The reason that the XBox 360 is very particular about the NAT on the user's router is due to the way the XBox 360 connects to other users to play a game.  While the XBox Live servers are used to register and coordinate game play, the actual internet communication between XBox 360 consoles is peer-to-peer for several of the communication streams.

• Even though a lot of XBox 360 communication is initiated from inside the firewall (i.e. the connection is outbound, and therefore the port opens automatically), this is sometimes not enough for proper game play, because multiple other XBox 360's have to send packets back to yours on that open port.  Many routers will not allow a packet from just anyone on the Internet to come back in on that open port.  Many routers will specifically only allow packets coming back in from the same source port as the initial outbound packet was directed to (if your router restricts inbound packets like this, then the NAT type is labeled "moderate").  Some routers go further and will only allow packets coming back in from the same source port AND the same source IP address as the initial outbound packet was directed to (if your router restricts inbound packets like this, then the NAT type is labeled "strict").  If your router is not restricting inbound packets by source port or IP address, then the NAT type is labeled "open".
  • The XBox 360 is smart enough to compensate for moderate and strict NAT types if the majority of the other people who have joined the game are open NAT types.  Where problems occur is when multiple people in the game have moderate or strict NAT, then the gameplay won't work properly.  Thus, the preferred setup is to have an open NAT type, because this makes it such that your XBox 360 can join and stay connected to any game on the Internet, regardless of other people's NAT types.
  • For routers that support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), the XBox 360 can direct the router to open ports such that the NAT type will be open.  However, as has been mentioned before:
    • UPnP is a security nightmare, because there is no authentication, authorization, or logging for UPnP requests to the router.
    • The routers that AT&T uses do not support UPnP anyway.
  • Microsoft has some documentation in several places for how to open ports on your router if your router does not support UPnP.  Unfortunately, these directions are incorrect, and open far more ports than are necessary for proper operation.

Here is the proper method to open ports on the 2Wire routers for the XBox 360.  This should give you an open NAT.

Open a web browser, browse to the URL of your U-Verse® Residential Gateway (usually http://192.168.1.254).

1. Click the Settings tab at the top.
  2. Click the Firewall label in the second row of tabs.
  3. Click the Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ label in the third row of tabs.
  4. Click on your XBox 360 under section (1).  You will probably have to identify it by its IP address.
  5. Click the Allow Individual Applications button under section (2).
  6. Click Add a New User-Defined Application.
  7. Type "XBox 360 Live" in the Application Profile Name field.
  8. Select TCP for the protocol.
  9. Type 3074 in the Port From and Port To fields.
  10. Leave the Protocol Timeout field blank.
  11. Leave the Map to Host Port field blank.
  12. Do not select anything in the Application Type pull-down.
  13. Click the Add to List button.
  14. Select UDP for the protocol.
  15. Type 3074 in the Port From and Port To fields.
  16. Leave the Protocol Timeout field blank.
  17. Leave the Map to Host Port field blank.
  18. Do not select anything in the Application Type pull-down.
  19. Click the Add to List button.
  20. Select UDP for the protocol.
  21. Type 88 in the Port From and Port To fields.
  22. Leave the Protocol Timeout field blank.
  23. Leave the Map to Host Port field blank.
  24. Do not select anything in the Application Type pull-down.
  25. Click the Add to List button.
  26. Click the Back button.
  27. Reselect your XBox 360 under section (1).  You will probably have to identify it by its IP address.
  28. Click the Allow Individual Applications button under section (2).
  29. Click "XBox 360 Live" in the Application list.
  30. Click the Add button.  XBox 360 Live will now be listed in the Hosted Applications list.
  31. Click the Save button at the bottom.

This procedure opens only the necessary ports on your router (3074 TCP/UDP, and 88 UDP), and directs them to the XBox 360 only, not to the whole network.  Thus, the security implications are minimal.

Former Employee

• 

45 Messages

10 years ago

You will see the warning message but you can safely ignore that.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am trying to set up port forwarding on my pc so my friends can join my game but it is not working for me.  How do you set it up for pc?

Thanks Joey

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I just want to confirm that this worked for me on my XBOX one! Thank you so much!! 

For my xbox 360 (6 months ago) I called ATT and they resolved it pretty quickly. Now I tried to do that again for my xbox one but they wanted to charge me $50 to open the port! Scam artists! Thank you so much for posting this!! 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I have added all of them but 88 won't add

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Awesome! Now can you tell us how to do the same thing for black ops 3 on a ps4?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

The easiest way to setup port forwarding for xbox or ps4 etc as I have found.

1: Open any browser and type in 192.168.1.254

2: Click the firewall tab and select IP Passthrough

3: Enter the Device Access Code found on the side of your modem

4: Select Passthrough for Allocation mode

5: Select DHCPS-fixed for Passthrough Mode

You will be likely prompted to reboot your device at this point to save changes. The page should refresh once the reboot has concluded.

6: Open the Device List where it says Passthrough Fixed MAC Address

7: Select your preferred device.

This should work on the NVG589 as well as 599 and will show as Open rather than the Default Moderate security warning on devices and allow all gaming and communications to said device.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.