Poor WiFi signal in small home
I have a 2Wire HomePortal 3801HGV residential gateway. My house is a 2000 square foot single family wood frame home built in the 70's. Is it unreasonable to expect my U-verse system to provide a reasonably strong and dependable WiFi signal throughout my relatively small home without supplementing the system with the addition of WiFi extenders or similar efforts? Prior to U-verse, and prior to the 2Wire HomePortal 3801HGV, I enjoyed a reasonably strong and dependable WiFi signal throughout my home from an unsupplemented wireless router installed in virtually the exact same place in my home.
I am now on my second U-verse residential gateway as the first one was destroyed by a lightning strike. Neither U-verse residential gateway provided a reasonably strong and dependable WiFi signal throughout my home.
I have already changed the WiFi channel from the auto/default channel, channel 9. I have tried both channels 1 and 11 without seeing any noticeable improvement.
8 years ago
See SomeJoe's great wireless interference thread:
Also see the SJ post:
Please Read for a Potential Solution
For many people, the DHCP problems with the 2Wire routers can be solved by configuring the RG as follows:
1. Go to http://192.168.1.254/ and find the RG's wireless configuration page.
2. Change the setting "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" to Disabled.
3. Change the setting "Authentication Type" to WPA2-PSK (AES).
4. Click the "Save" button at the bottom.
5. This procedure may ask for your RG's password. The default password for your RG is printed on a sticker on the side of the RG (3600HGV, 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV and NVG589/510) or on a white sticker on the backup battery (i3812V).
Disabling WPS should help with the DHCP timeout issue and general wireless connection problems.
Setting authentication specifically to WPA2-PSK/AES improves connection reliability on Macs and other Apple products.
Also see this for best placement of the RG:
Good luck 😉
Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more