Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
samtrevino

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Wed, Oct 14, 2015 7:53 AM

Pace 5268AC Router in Conjunction with the WD My Cloud personal cloud storage device.

I am curious to know if anyone can confirm if the PACE 5268AC router supports or does not support UPNP (universal plug n play)? 

I suspect that it does not. 

I recently upgraded my Internet with AT&T and found my WD My Cloud (Model: WDBCTL0040HWT-NESN - the 4 TB one) to be useless. The router refuses to connect to the WD My Cloud device. No lights on the Cat 5 cable connected to the WD My Cloud device's Ethernet port, or on the PACE 5268AC router Ethernet port. I checked the WD My Cloud device, and it works when I connect it to my laptop. That however does not allow me to access the My Cloud device for its full purpose as a personal cloud storage device; e.g, when I'm away from home in the field I'd like to connect my laptop to my My Cloud device via the Internet and transfer files to it. 

AT&T tech support forwared my partner and I to a 3rd party tech support line that wanted us to pay for a solution. This was stupid. I'm not paying to find out that their router doesn't support UPNP. AT&T should know this and just tell me so I can make informed decisions on troubleshooting my issue.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

samtrevino

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Workaround Solution and continuation of issue:

To resolve this issue my partner and I called Western Digital tech support, but they couldn't help us as the issue obviously wasn't their device malfunctioning (it connected to my laptop just fine and was working with prior AT&T router). Then we reached out to AT&T tech support again. They either don't know or refuse to tell us this modem doesn't support UPNP. They have no solution for the My Cloud device to be seen and work with their router. 

Since I suspected this router was not supporting UPNP I thought if I routed the My Cloud device through a UPNP router or switch it would work. 

I purchased a Netgear 5 port switch (Model # GS605) for about $40. After factory resetting the router and connecting the My Cloud to the switch then to the router (via Cat 5 cables) I rebooted everything and it worked. I can now access the My Cloud device via the Internet and connect my smart phone and other devices to it for back up and file transfers.

This isn't ideal, but a workaround that cost me money. Edit: It's the only solution since the router doesn't support UPnP. You have to buy a UPnP router or switch to get your My Cloud device to function via the Pace 5268AC router. 

Hopefully this will help others with this issue.

Also might be worthwhile to read this forum post:

https://forums.sonic.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3052&start=10

Just found this link which confirms no Uverse RGs (Residential Gateways - their routers) support UPnP:

https://forums.att.com/t5/DSL-Routers-Home-Networks/Does-3800HGV-B-support-UPnP/m-p/4164968#M6255

AT&T your phone techs should really have known this and let me know at the start I needed to go buy a switch or router with UPnP. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

You do not need to put in a switch between the Uverse Pace gateway and your WD MyCloud device.   I direct connected my PC to the WD Mycloud and configured it to use a static IP.   Then when i connected to the Uverse gateway, I noticed i didn't get a link light. 

he issue for me was that there was no link light on the ethernet connection -- this indicates an autonegotiation issue.   I used SSH to log into the wd mycloud and used the ethtool command to force the link speed.    After this, i plugged in the cable, power-cycled the mycloude and 3 minutes later it was working like it should have.

Would not work with Uverse PACE gateway -- no Ethernet connection --   could not autonegotiate link speed

Used PUTTY / SSH to connect to the device – used ethtool to force link speed -- then it connected fine

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=10435     how to enable SSH  on mycloud

https://forums.sonic.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3052&start=10     where I found the ethtool settings

We've confirmed this is an autonegotiation issue. If you SSH into your MyCloud, and set the speed with the below command, the Pace and MyCloud devices will be able to communicate directly over Ethernet:

ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex full

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

5 years ago

I have this same problem after my recently replaced router, Arris NV something, suddenly hung and couldn't be recovered.  I was given the Pace 5268AC as a replacement.  After redoing all the factory settings on the Pace router I started reconnecting everything and discovered that my WD My Cloud wasn't connecting, constant blinking light.  I have gone through all the steps to enable SSH and set the eth value as provided in this and other threads.  Even after doing all this the My Cloud still continues to blink constantly.  If I look at the router LAN stats it shows the My Cloud as connected and assigned an IP address, but it shows a status of "off".

Is there anything else I can do to get this working again? or am I going to have to try to convince ATT to replace this crappy router with the model I had before and know works?

B.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I have a 5268AC Uverse router too. Also found out My Cloud does not plug and play to the port on back of the router.

I attached a TP-Link switch to connect the My Cloud device to the switch then to the Uverse 5268AC router. Now, My Cloud has steady blue light and is accessable only  to wired computers.

Computers connected via wire (ethernet) can see the drive. Computers over wireless cannot see the drive, almost like IP isolation. I know each wire and wireless have different IP ranges. I do have guest wireless turned on and non-guest wireless on (if that helps, but I can turn off guest).

How can I make all computers see each other, wired and wireless? OP posts sounds like everything worked too easily  lol.

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Thank you for the info.  Can you give me more info on the TP Link Switch, item number and/or description?  I need to do this but am unfamiliar with this. THANKS!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Hi my name is Joe, after receiving a letter from AT&T .  To replace my router to the 5268 AC  from my Motorola router that was working perfectly fine . I installed the router , and I had to pour my DVD player for my surveillance cameras  and that worked out fine .  Then I installed my phones iPads and printers. But my Western Digital my cloud would not work , no help from AT&T tech-support  so thank you to everyone on the forum,  I purchased  Netgear router GS 205  from Amazon.com for $17  plugged it in between the router and drive  and it worked like a charm  thank you hope this information helps others struggling with the problem  Joseph👍👍👍👍

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

alanknaub solution worked!!  Thank you!

I am a novice to networking, but I can follow directions:

Enabled SSH

Downloaded the SSH editor from Putty.org

Pasted the line "ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex full"  (I have no idea what it does)

Plugged my Cat 5 cable back into the Pace Gateway.

One minute and Blue Light

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

alanknaub solution worked!!  Thank you!

I am a novice to networking, but I can follow directions:

Enabled SSH
Downloaded the SSH editor from Putty.org
Pasted the line "ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex full"  (I have no idea what it does)
Plugged my Cat 5 cable back into the Pace Gateway.

One minute and Blue Light

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Uverse does not play well with gigabit ethernet on My Cloud.  Get a switch and the problem is solved.  AT&T should have a modem with GB ports.  Why not?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

According to the current postings on the Sonic thread referenced in an earlier post, they (Sonic) have worked with the manufacturers (PACE & Broadcom) for a firmware solution & have pushed out a version that fixes this problem.

Has anyone heard if ATT will follow suit, or is even aware of it?  Thought I'd check here before going to UVerse Customer Service.

https://forums.sonic.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3052&start=50

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Hi,

I have followed the below instructions with my WDCloud and ATT 5268AC router.

1. Enabled SSH on WDClould after connecting to PC ( left the IP to be Dynamic)

2. using putty,- gave this command ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex full

3. Shutdownt the WDcloud from dashboard.

4. Connect back to the router

5. shutdown and restart the router.

It is still showing blinking yellow and doesn't work. Any other suggestions please.

I have tried connecting another wifi router to that ATT router. But devices connected to the ATT router wifi can't see the WDCloud.  As someone mentioned, is there a similar problem with switch as well. ?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

FYI - Here's a link to a WD Community discussion forum where user cpt_paranoia seems knowledgeable across several comments and mentions that it's not a UpNP problem but that it's instead "due to a failure of the MDI/MDI-X auto negotiation between the MyCloud and router".  - https://community.wd.com/t/router-connection-problem-with-mc/146230/14 

Get started...

Ask a new question