For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
texasbubb's profile

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

Saturday, June 18th, 2016 8:39 AM

Pace 5268AC, DMZPlus Issue, drops lan every 10 minutes.

I have the Pace 5268AC in DMZPlus in front of a Cisco RV325.  In DMZ mode it apparently want to expire the lease on the address every 10 minutes and causes my network to go down.  Any thoughts on how to stop this?  Would moving to a static IP stop it?  Or do they just issue a fixed address via the same mechanism?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks JefferMC for your quick response.  The occasional power outages at the house could result in the need to manually re-enter these assignments to restore normal operation, correct?  If so, any other suggestions?  Our situation may be a bit unique in that we require a solution that can automatically recover from the occasional power outages at the house without any manual intervention/setup. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

And I should add that a UPS isn't a good fit in our setup.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

6 years ago

@Orange_Energy wrote:

Thanks JefferMC for your quick response.  The occasional power outages at the house could result in the need to manually re-enter these assignments to restore normal operation, correct?  If so, any other suggestions?  Our situation may be a bit unique in that we require a solution that can automatically recover from the occasional power outages at the house without any manual intervention/setup. 

No, the "dynamic" public IP is, in practice, very static.  It normally won't change for years upon years.  I think I've had two different public IP addresses in my 8.5 years as a U-verse customer.  Thus, you should be able to enter that public IP address without fear.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Ok- not sure what (if anything) changes, but my AT&T service is the Fiber 1000 Mbps service.  With my luck, AT&T does something different/nonconforming with their Fiber 1000 service...  Ha!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I just started setting up a Ubiquiti Security Gateway (USG) behind my Pace 5268AC, and ran into similar connection issues where the USG would not properly pick up the public IP address through DHCP after putting it in the DMZPlus. I could set a static IP to match my AT&T public IP settings and it would work but that seemed like an unsatisfying solution for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.

I'm not a network confguration expert, but it bothered me that the Pace and the USG both wanted to use 192.168.1.x for DHCP allocations. I noticed that even after putting the USG into the DMZPlus, I could connect a wireless device and it would get an address in the Pace's default 192.168.1.x range, which conflicted with the IP range the USG was trying to manage. And of course the Pace answered to 192.168.1.254, which was also in the default allocation range of the USG.

So I changed the DHCP settings on the Pace to answer to a different subnet (192.168.100.1 with a DHCP allocation range inside 192.168.100.x as well). Like magic, the USG immediately picked up the DHCP assignment from the Pace and got the public IP exactly like I wanted. Now the networks don't seem to want to fight each other. I can still access the Pace from the wired network via the new gateway IP (192.168.100.1), and also connect to the Pace wirelessly using the old SSID if I need to, though I'm shutting that down to alleviate unnecessary wireless congestion.

I don't know if this will survive a sustained power outage or the rare chance of a public IP re-assignmnet, but I'll update this if I find out.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

You should be fine. That's exactly what I found out, and did too. It's been
running fine ever since, with plenty of power cycles.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Spot on @weshunt.  The symptoms (network drops every 10 minutes), equipment (Pace 5268AC and Ubiquity USG), and solution (change the Pace's subnet) matched my own experience.  Problem solved; much happier family.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you, too, @weshunt.  This is exactly what I needed, too.  For others that get to this point in the thread and are looking for step-by-step instructions, here is what I needed to do: https://dltj.org/article/uverse-5268ac-dmzplus-10-minutes/

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.