texasbubb
#1 Star!
10th stratosphere!
Mission control approves!

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

Sat, Jun 18, 2016 8:39 AM

Pace 5268AC, DMZPlus Issue, drops lan every 10 minutes.

I have the Pace 5268AC in DMZPlus in front of a Cisco RV325.  In DMZ mode it apparently want to expire the lease on the address every 10 minutes and causes my network to go down.  Any thoughts on how to stop this?  Would moving to a static IP stop it?  Or do they just issue a fixed address via the same mechanism?

texasbubb

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

4 y ago

I gave up my static IP's to save some cost and I'm right back in the same boat with the rest of your again...  As for changing the leas time, it doesn't work for the DMZ+ port...  It is hard set to 10 min.  I am looking into the static routs issue/fix that StephanNC posted earlier.  I will update this thread if there is any progress.  I was hopeful AT&T addressed this by now.  Boy am I foolish to think they would do anything to help.

G^2

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

4 y ago

The Arris routers (NVG 589, BGW 210) both allow you to set the lease time on the IP Passthrough address.  That's too bad if the 5268ac doesn't.  And, yes, you can statically assign the public IP address, mask and default gateway you get from the DHCP in DMZplus.

texasbubb

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

4 y ago

Two years later and this same issue exists with this junk gateway.  One would think that Arris or AT&T would have worked this out in past 3 or 4 or so years...  But no.  They still send this malformed DHCP renewal which is dropped by a large number of edge routers (based on my web research Cisco is not the only one that doesn't like this)  I wish they would get their act together find a solution.  In any case, I'm back to plugging in the assigned IP as static and redoing this ever time there is a drop or reset... fun fun.

By the way, I don't think the lease time for this issue is on the gateway.  I believe it is coming from the AT&T upstream DHCP server and is just a pass through at the gateway.  This is part of why the address is goofy.  I think it is meant for the gateway, not the ER.

Will continue to monitor this and update if anything changes.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

Any developments on this?  Not sure if it is being caused by the malformed DHCP renewal from AT&T, or some other issue with the AT&T Central equipment, configurations, policies, etc..., or the AT&T Pace 5268 itself, but my Asus RT-AC87U doesn't like something it is receiving from AT&T with the AT&T Pace 5268 setup in DMZPlus.  Everything has been working great since I set it up months ago (most of the time), except...  an average of once per day, and at a random time each day, my Asus RT-AC87U WAN indicator goes solid red for about ~30 seconds, during which all devices on the Asus LAN lose their Internet access, until the ~30 second window completes, at which point everything starts working again (without me doing anything).  My Asus RT-AC87U system logs confirm these drop events, but our LAN activities can't continue to tolerate these drops.  Any suggestions?

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

4 y ago

@Orange_Energy wrote:

Any suggestions?

At the risk of repeating myself

@JefferMC wrote:

you can statically assign the public IP address, mask and default gateway you get from the DHCP in DMZplus.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

Thanks JefferMC for your quick response.  The occasional power outages at the house could result in the need to manually re-enter these assignments to restore normal operation, correct?  If so, any other suggestions?  Our situation may be a bit unique in that we require a solution that can automatically recover from the occasional power outages at the house without any manual intervention/setup. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

And I should add that a UPS isn't a good fit in our setup.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

4 y ago

@Orange_Energy wrote:

Thanks JefferMC for your quick response.  The occasional power outages at the house could result in the need to manually re-enter these assignments to restore normal operation, correct?  If so, any other suggestions?  Our situation may be a bit unique in that we require a solution that can automatically recover from the occasional power outages at the house without any manual intervention/setup. 

No, the "dynamic" public IP is, in practice, very static.  It normally won't change for years upon years.  I think I've had two different public IP addresses in my 8.5 years as a U-verse customer.  Thus, you should be able to enter that public IP address without fear.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

Ok- not sure what (if anything) changes, but my AT&T service is the Fiber 1000 Mbps service.  With my luck, AT&T does something different/nonconforming with their Fiber 1000 service...  Ha!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

I just started setting up a Ubiquiti Security Gateway (USG) behind my Pace 5268AC, and ran into similar connection issues where the USG would not properly pick up the public IP address through DHCP after putting it in the DMZPlus. I could set a static IP to match my AT&T public IP settings and it would work but that seemed like an unsatisfying solution for all the reasons mentioned in this thread.

I'm not a network confguration expert, but it bothered me that the Pace and the USG both wanted to use 192.168.1.x for DHCP allocations. I noticed that even after putting the USG into the DMZPlus, I could connect a wireless device and it would get an address in the Pace's default 192.168.1.x range, which conflicted with the IP range the USG was trying to manage. And of course the Pace answered to 192.168.1.254, which was also in the default allocation range of the USG.

So I changed the DHCP settings on the Pace to answer to a different subnet (192.168.100.1 with a DHCP allocation range inside 192.168.100.x as well). Like magic, the USG immediately picked up the DHCP assignment from the Pace and got the public IP exactly like I wanted. Now the networks don't seem to want to fight each other. I can still access the Pace from the wired network via the new gateway IP (192.168.100.1), and also connect to the Pace wirelessly using the old SSID if I need to, though I'm shutting that down to alleviate unnecessary wireless congestion.

I don't know if this will survive a sustained power outage or the rare chance of a public IP re-assignmnet, but I'll update this if I find out.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

You should be fine. That's exactly what I found out, and did too. It's been
running fine ever since, with plenty of power cycles.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

1 m ago

Spot on @weshunt.  The symptoms (network drops every 10 minutes), equipment (Pace 5268AC and Ubiquity USG), and solution (change the Pace's subnet) matched my own experience.  Problem solved; much happier family.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 d ago

Thank you, too, @weshunt.  This is exactly what I needed, too.  For others that get to this point in the thread and are looking for step-by-step instructions, here is what I needed to do: https://dltj.org/article/uverse-5268ac-dmzplus-10-minutes/

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.