For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
marktassin's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, September 21st, 2014 12:44 AM

Override or work with the DNS Server Features

Suddenly my Uverse router has started taking over as my primary DNS Server.  I've done everything I can to stop it.  I effectively gave it a single IP to assign... which is assigned to a static device.  

Wired connections work, my on home network DHCP server responds and assigns addresses and DNS servers, which allows for my home network clients to find my on network DNS server and the rest of the devices on my AD Domain.

Wireless connections, the Router passes the DHCP request to my DHCP server, but then overrides the DNS servers some how.  This means that my home backup server (Netgear ReadyNAS) cannot be reached by the wireless clients.

This only recently started.  If I can't stop the router from screwing up my home network, can I at least have a means to give it a static forwarder for my home domain suffix such that it will pass DNS lookups from Wireless clients back to my AD DNS server?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

Your U-verse router (called the Residential Gateway, or RG, in U-verse terms) has DNS forwarder capabilites that cannot be turned off.  It also has DHCP capabilities that can be limited to some extent, but can't be turned completely off.

If you have had another device on the same LAN providing DHCP services, it has been a race all along to see which one responds to a client request.  Now the RG is winning.

If you place a router between the RG and the rest of your network, then your router would be responsible for DHCP and DNS services for that LAN and you could configure it anyway you want. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

JefferMC--

Hi, I'm an AT&T Uverse customer, and have an Arris RG.  I purchased a new router to allow me to change the DNS server location since I want a DNS that's filtered.  My AT&T tech came and dumbed-down my gateway per my request (made it equivalent to a modem) and connected the new router through IP-passthrough.  The problem is I verified through tracert in the command line that my new DNS server address is not being used as the true DNS even though it's specified in my new router's settings.  Can the RG really not be over-ridden to change the DNS location to something other than AT&T specifies?   Thanks.

Michael

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

For anyone that stumbles on this thread because they are stuck in this situation caused by AT&T, there is a simple change you can make to get this working.

Search for Network Connections.  A window should pop up with different network connections.

Double-click the connection you use at home and then choose Internet Protocol Version 4.

Click the Advanced button

Remove the checkmark from Automatic Metric

In the Interface metric box, type 100.

Hit OK 3 times to close the 3 windows that have opened.

Double-click the connection for your VPN

Follow the same steps, but this time put 1 in the box.

This will give precedence to your VPN connection and it will stop AT&T from overriding your DNS settings.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.