erick.calder's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, June 18th, 2015 9:11 PM

NVG589 port forwarding/IP passthrough don't work

I've had terrible service from UVerse so toay a tech showed up and replaced my gateway with a brand new NVG589.

I run a linux box with a web-server on a fixed ip address 192.168.1.4 so I used the Firewall's NAT/Gaming section to add a route.  after struggling with that for a while, I abandoned the effort and decided to just set the router in passthrough mode such that all incoming traffic will be redirected to my linux server.

so the Allocation Mode is set to Passthrough, the Passthrough Mode is DHCPS-fixed the linux box IPv4 address shows up on the list so I selected it and the MAC address was entered into the box, and I clicked Save

when I try to connect on port 22 via the Broadband IPv4 Address I get a Network Unreachable error.  if I connect to the same port using the internal address the linux server responds.

is there something I'm failing to configure? how can I make this work?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @erick.calder,

I am sorry about the issues you are having with web server. Try using the netstat command to ensure that the port is open. If still having issues, see if you can access your webserver from another location. If not, try running a trace route to see where it is failing.

Let us know how it goes.

-David T

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

9 years ago

Note that the NVG 589 will not loop back your public address, so if you're trying to reach your box from your internal network using the external address, that will not work.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

9 years ago

That's important when you're trying to test from inside. I made this mistake with the NVG589 after setting up the RG for cloudserver port-forwarding (so my office could backup there). From the office (outside) it works fine, but of course, like all there things, not from a local inside address. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.