Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
summest's profile

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

Saturday, March 9th, 2024 2:14 AM

No firmware updates for 5268AC Router; Seek Replacement

I received an email stating that The AC5268 router I have had for multiple years will no longer receive firmware updates.  The vendor that makes this device will not release any new firmware updates.  As we know, we should always patch our router to keep it up to date in order to fix vulnerabilities. 

Is there a replacement for the 5268AC?  I heard that the BGW210700 would be a good replacement as it still gets the latest firmware updates.  While it is still only a Wifi-5 router, it is getting regular firmware updates.

Is it possible that I can switch out my 5268AC for a BGW210700?  I do not see a possibility of getting fiber to our old neighborhood anytime soon.

Thanks for any information you can provide.  I have stuck with AT&T for Internet since I moved into my house in 2004.  I see no reason to leave AT&T, but I would like to have a protected router for my Internet access.

Sincerely,

Summest.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

3 months ago

Yes, you should be able to get the Gateway replaced.  Just tell them you're concerned about the security situation with them no longer patching it.  If that doesn't do it, then unplug it from the wall and tell them it just quit working.  When the diagnostics confirm that, they should drop ship you a BGW210.  If you need the coax port for U-verse TV, then you'll need to figure out how to deal with that; the BGW210 doesn't have a coax connector.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

3 months ago

Thanks @JefferMC .  I tried by calling this evening but the rep said I would have to wait for Fiber to upgrade my gateway.  I will try again tomorrow in the light of day.  Then follow your suggestions.  

Thanks for the quick reply.

Summest.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.