For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Rishkoi's profile

6 Messages

Friday, November 17th, 2023 5:18 PM

Closed

NHL 24 is currently unplayable only for customers using AT&T fiber.

Hello, I'm writing to ensure AT&T is informed that their Fiber Customers are in a complete outage from the video game NHL 24.

EA Has been asked to comment on this outage, and has repeatedly said that the issue is solely AT&T's problem and their poor networking.

Below are some pictures and links to reiterated that this is a mass outage with AT&T being fully blamed as the culprit.

Essentially, whenever AT&T Fiber users, and seemingly only AT&T Fiber users try to connect to the servers on EA Sports NHL 24, they're met with connection errors. 

To note, this has only started happening following an NHL 24 Patch. Furthermore, there was an incident in July this year involving AT&T Fiber and last years NHL 23, which can be found Here

Link to Twitter Thread

Link to EA Forum Thread

EA Community Manager saying numerous times this is AT&T's fault:

Please advise us on how to proceed, thank you.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

5 months ago

If you repeat a lie enough times, maybe people will believe it. 

I do not see that you've posted anything to indicate that there is an AT&T problem other than one community manager from EA saying so.  Traceroutes?  sustained ping time reports on the hops?  I notice that the CM at EA has backtracked on his statements to "we're investigating."

Even when the problem is limited to customers of one ISP, that doesn't mean it's that ISP's problem.  There was a similar issue with another game company months ago when their ISP had a peering issue with AT&T.  The game company didn't come out blame AT&T, but they said it wasn't their problem.  Traceroutes showed that it was a problem with their ISP's peering infrastructure with AT&T.  It was being overloaded and the traffic couldn't get through on certain routes.  The latency jumped well inside the game ISP's network, so draw your own conclusions on that one.  IIRC, that was FFXIV.

I can't tell you not to switch providers.  If it's in the game company's infrastructure, AT&T can not fix it, so that may be your only recourse.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 months ago

If it hasn't been proven that it's an AT&T issue then why the discussion here? There's nothing that this public forum can do about it. Complaints to AT&T should be sent to Support, not here, as this is not an AT&T Support channel.

6 Messages

5 months ago

@JefferMC 

Unfortunately AT&T customers are powerless to do much besides parrot what we're told. It's certainly more than one community manager however, during the Battlefield 2042 debacle EA was more than comfortable pinning the entirety of the blame on AT&Ts routing. 

It's clear that there is "something" wrong here, though we're not sure how to figure out who needs to fix what. 

That said, if you could help arm us with the information we need in order to get EA to stop perpetuating that this is AT&T's poor routing and unskilled technicians fault, that would be phenomenal.

To @OttoPylot Its going to be difficult to prove this outright as we an only do so much. The problem in Battlefield and NHL 23 back in July mysteriously went away once heat got put on EA from AT&T forums, so we're trying to catch that magic again. I personally cant believe this is an AT&T problem, but its there clear as day from their mod team blasting AT&T and their equipment/infrastructure.

This is a forum for equipment troubleshooting right? How can we troubleshoot our AT&T equipment to ensure there are no issues? 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

5 months ago

The way to troubleshoot this is to get traceroutes, preferably using a tool like PingPlotter, to show the latency over time to the game servers.  You want to track where the latency rises when the game is unplayable.  Once you identified the hops that take significantly longer to respond, then you figure out who own them: they own the problem.

6 Messages

5 months ago

So, @JefferMC , at around 8pm EST when stuff hits the fan tonight, I can use my PC and PingPlotter to find the latency? Just asking because it is on a console and im not sure where the servers are exactly. I believe they are easo.ea.com?

3 Messages

5 months ago

I am experiencing this too. I have been running pingplotter for ~27 hours now.

So far I have my own tracert, another friends tracert who has ATT and a third friends Tracert who doesnt have ATT.

All three of us have that same 4 finishing hops in the table.  All of us are directed from ATT or our respective ISPs to a service with a name ending in ".zip.zayo.com" Some of us with more hops without a responmse time there than others. before that is the hand off from our providers.

Im hopefully this info may be enough to help guide us in the correct direction to determine who/where to look.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

5 months ago

Hops not showing a response time is not indicative of an issue, as long as later hops respond.

Where does the latency start showing an increase (where that increase is sustained to later hops) above "normal" latency  numbers?

What hop number?  What IP/node name is there?

3 Messages

5 months ago

It does seem to vary at times which node is affected, so I included 4 screen grabs here from the 6th hop onward. (4 and 5 are blank data) hops before that have no issues since the test started.

Trace when no issues occur:

Trace when issue occurs, but no packet loss detected:

Trace towards end of typical trouble period when packet loss is indicated:

Trace with packet loss just outside expect time frame:

These are in chronological order by coincidence starting on 11/20 (time indicated in gray bar lower right of the image.

3 Messages

5 months ago

That was my initial thought when I first looked as well, however I do not have a networking background so I was uncertain. I did ask around and some non ATT friends than ran a generic tracert for me also connect into zayo.com and the final 5 hops are the same for everyone that ive seen tracerts from thus far, regardless of ISP. Its only a small sample set, but enough to peak my curiosity in that direction.

My results dont look horrible, but their result is 15 minutes to load into menus and then even a game, or it errors out. The error reads its a connection issue, and their denial of a problem on their end led us to help seek answers or a direction elsewhere, if nothing else but to force them to address it more directly. I know many users are hammering EA forums with frustrations only to get the same messages back each time, so I thank you for your help thus far!

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

5 months ago

Isn’t the first time I’ve seen EA try and throw mud only to have it boomerang back.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.