Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sat, Sep 23, 2017 2:43 AM

New Router kept old network settings

Hi, I just received a new router NVG599 to replace the 489 due to intermittent service issues.
Everything works great but it seems that the new router has 2 networks. My old network and password is available and working perfectly on all my devices , and a new network with the generic name and password on the side of the router.
How did the new router automatically get my old network name and password? It's not an issue for me but I was surprised and happy that my devices all recognized the new router and worked automatically.
I have tried the "new" network on my laptop and that also works well but obviously my devices need to connect to it if I want to use it.
Is it ok to have 2 networks I guess is my question.

Responses

my thoughts

Employee

• 

14K Messages

3 years ago

The 589 is a single network wireless 2.4Ghz b/g/n.

The 599 is a dual band 2.4 GHz and 5Ghz n/AC.

When you installed the new gateway a question should have appeared concerning reloading custom settings or information.

If answered yes, then the previous 2.4 network was loaded. As the 589 had no 5Ghz, the 599 is using its default settings that are located on side of gateway.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I didnt get asked anything . Basically i followed the instructions, unplugged the 589 and plugged in the 599 (including the ethernet cables). Turned on my Mac and saw the old network there and the new one. My mac automatically connected to the old network as have all of my other devices. Everything is working perfectly but its as if i literally put the 589 back and didnt replace it! 

Is it ok to use the old network or is it more efficient to use the new one. The new one will be a pain though as i have many wireless devices that i would need to reconnect.

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 years ago

@my thoughts:

When you installed the new gateway a question should have appeared concerning reloading custom settings or information.

If answered yes, then the previous 2.4 network was loaded.

I'm curious.  Where would it be getting that info from?  Isn't that stuff only stored in the "old" and now disconnected router?

@Barnetda13:

Did you explicitly check the 2.4 settings in the new router to see if it's really got you old ssid and password?

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click "Like" if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Professor,

When I look at my available networks I see my "old" network and I also see my new network . On my old network  its automatically connected if i click on the new network I have to put in the supplied password and i can connect to that network.

All of my devices have automatically connected to the old network without me doing anything. Its as if the old gateway is still plugged in !

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I think I might have the answer but would appreciate any opinions here.

I have a Ubiquiti Unifi Extender . It was installed 3 years ago when i had the original ATT gateway installed . I think that the Ubiquiti has its own network (which was probably named XXXX "old network"). In the 3 years I probably had the ATT gateway network with the generic name but i didnt pay any attention to it as i didnt think it was mine. 
So now when i plugged in the new Gateway the Ubiquiti network was still there . When i go into my gateway settings the "new" generic network is showing but I am not using it as i am happy that all of my devices are connected to my xxxx "old" network.

I hope i am making sense. I dont know how to get into the Ubiquiti settings to check but i think that may be the answer.

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 years ago

That makes more sense to me because I was going to suggest that when you had your previous gateway you were never using it's wifi but using the wifi belonging to some other network.  The only reason I didn't mention it was because I didn't know how you would know that other network's wifi password.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click "Like" if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I think Professor that is exactly the case. The home thetre guys set up my wifi network 3 years ago. There was a lot going on that day as I was moving in as well. I think they forgot to explain that there were 2 networks. I have contacted them to ask for the password for thesettings to get into the extender system. I cant believe I had another network for 3 years and didnt even know!

It was baffling me but I am pretty certain that this is the answer.

• 

1 Message

1 month ago

I just replaced my new modem and found this post searching for an answer. That is so odd that all my devices and phones are still connecting to the old ssid while it’s in the box going to be shipped back.... how can this be??