denkopf's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 11th, 2013 2:02 AM

Motorola NVG589 port forwarding

U Vers replaced my 2-Wire with the  NVG589, I have several security camers installed and i am trying to set up port forwarding for them. They left me no manual. I have tried web searches, nothing. I was able to set the cameras up on the 2-wire, the Foscam web site does not have anything for the 589. on the NVG589 I set up in Nat/gaming what I thought was correct but outside the house I can not gain access. it states "Privite Network" "this camera is on a privite network and will not work". typically when port forwarding it sets up a http address. I cant find where or how it does that.

so I need help please.

dennis

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

The manual is available at 

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=876244&fcc_id=GZ5NVG589

The instructions for port-forwarding custom services are on page 71. Make sure you are forwarding the ports for the right device.  I assign a static IP to each device that require port forwarding to avoid problems.

Accepted Solution

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

I have not had a chance to test the port forwarding options on an NVG589, but it is very similar to the NVG510.

1. Login to your modem at http://192.168.1.254 (or whatever the default gateway is set to)
  2. Click on the Firewall tab at the top
  3. Click on NAT/Gaming
  4. Click on Custom Services and fill out the fields as necessary and save and return to the previous page
  5. Back on the NAT/Gaming main page, choose the Service you just created, and then choose the appropriate device in the Needed by Device field.
  6. Click Add.

Hopefully that works, but if the NVG589 is anything like the NVG510 when it comes to this, it has an issue of having a device with a public IP address in the Needed by Device field. If that's the case, the best option in my opinion is to use your own router for port forwarding options or just go passthrough straight to your device, and just setup the NVG589 in a passthrough mode with that router or straight to that device.

To do so:

1. Login to your modem at http://192.168.1.254 (or whatever the default gateway is set to)
  3. Click on IP Passthrough
  4. On Passthrough Mode choose DHCPS-fixed
  5. On Passthrough MAC Address, input the MAC Address of your router or device. (If you are not sure of the MAC Address, you can locate it by going to Device -> Device List in the NVG589. It will have a list of all the devices connected to it along with the MAC Address of the Device).
  6. Click Save at the bottom.

Hopefully, this helps out. Let us know how it goes.

-David T

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

BIG THANKS, YOUDAMAN

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Would you happen to have a copy of this since our Government has shutdown and this site is no longer abvailable?

Thank you very much

[edited for privacy]

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I am having the same issue, I just had the tech come out and install a new NVG589 and enable my dedicated Ip addresses.  I am unable to open any of the ports on a selected machine and the user manual linked above is unaviable due to the Government shutdown.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I recently had Uverse installed then added a Foscam FI8910, I also need to forwaerd the port. Any chance of emailing the solution as I am leaving for vacation in 2 days. I was able to get the camera to email pictures of motion or noise but I cannot log into it to pan and tilt. Please help. Would be much appreciated.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

My issue is that the NGV589 does NOT see any Devices but itself in the drop down box when I try to add port forwarding under 'Firewall'. And there is no manual option to add IP Addresses or MAC Addresses to tell it to do so. So if it sees no devices attached to itself, it cannot forward a port to anything thus no capability do very simple Remote Desktop because I cannot reach my home PC.

ATT Tech Support agreed this is a significant Modem Software Failure/Bug in the Motorola Box - the communication works just fine between the NGV589 and my Netgear 6300 (new top end router) but when asked to scan for devices and show the results, the NGV589 fails to find anything and just shows itself. ATT has no other options for me at this point.

A good example of why Motorola failed and got sold.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Texaszman are you running static IP's?

I got my setup configured using a older WRT54G, I simply let the NVG589 assign my router a static ip address and no other configuration was needed in the NVG589.  I was able to configure my port forwarding using WRT54G.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

No unfortunately.  I have the 54Mbps 2-line bonded pair Uverse service with the NGV589 modem.  Since the NGV589 sees only itself as a connected device, it will not allow me to setup a fixed address.  

ATT offered to swap out the modem, but stated they are currently having numerous issues with routers attached to the NGV589 and did not think the problem was hardware related. 

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi texaszman,

I apologize for the inconveniences. I think the way they are instructing you to setup your services is not the best way to go. I have ran into the issues you are getting as stated above, and the best way is to do exactly what jman761 is doing and let your router handle the port forwarding. You want to set your router in IP passthrough mode.

To do so:

3. Click on IP Passthrough
  4. On Passthrough Mode choose DHCPS-fixed
  5. On Passthrough MAC Address, input the MAC Address of your router or device. (If you are not sure of the MAC Address, you can locate it by going to Device -> Device List in the NVG589. It will have a list of all the devices connected to it along with the MAC Address of the Device).
  6. Click Save at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.