Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Benhenry007's profile

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Aug 9, 2022 7:39 PM

Locating an ATT Gateway modem temporarily to a building 200 feet away

So my problem is this. I need to move my Gateway modem to a garage 200 feet away temporarily so my dear spouse can get internet until new lines are installed some 30 days from now. I was wondering if I could buy a 200' pre-made cat5e cable with RJ45 plugs and adapters to RJ11 plugs on both ends. The Gateway of course plugs into the wall and the Gateway with RJ11 plugs (you know, the "green wire cord").

My second idea was to connect a cat5e cable hard wired to my side of the ATT junction box, run it the 200 feet away, and either attach a RJ11 plug to the end or a RJ45 with an RJ11 adapter. I am not sure this is any different than the first idea.

Does anyone know if either of these ideas will work, or have a better idea?

(Note - edited. I said house, but it's a garage too far away for the signal to carry. She will be working there temporarily and wanted WiFi)

Accepted Solution

• 

3 Messages

2分前

I wound up just running 250 feet of Cat 6 cord to the garage. Works perfectly. Added a RJ45 adapt or to her computer and all is well. Thanks to all for the suggestions. Problem solved. 

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.5K Messages

2分前

The question is not if it will work, but why you think it should….

ATT only allows one account per address, if your current service is with ATT and spouse desires separate service the options as I see them… order service from local cable company if available OR CANCEL your existing service or move your service address to the other house which is a different install.

The thing is MOVING address, not the wiring 200 feet away.

The building moving to has to be in ATT database not a shed or barn but a residential building with mailing address, property taxes, utilities, etc separate from current address.

Constructive

Employee

• 

29.4K Messages

2分前

you could try running an ethernet cord from one of the ports in back of the gateway to the garage 

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.5K Messages

2分前

I agree with @Constructive extend a cable from one of your ports, you can plug it in directly or put a Wi-Fi compatible router on the end for wifi. 

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.8K Messages

2分前

Have you thought about using a smartphone as a hotspot in the garage?

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.5K Messages

2分前

That's a good option too assuming you have a good data plan. Also it would be much cheaper to get the mod ends and raw cable for that length. What's between you and the garage? Any trees you can run the wire through? If there is attach it to the house and a couple trees to the garage, out of the way. You can make your own attachments by using wire, I can't find anything on the Internet except factory made pulling grips, that's not what you want. We used to call it a basket weave, but that gets me nowhere either. Guess if you decide to go that way I can take a photo or video on how to do it.

• 

3 Messages

2分前

PS. WiFi hotspot was too expensive for us. I spent $70 on the cat 6 data cords. Works great. 

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.